• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ls50 / newmann 805 cut off / Roon eq / devialet 120

meracus

Hi guys
Questions for the techies out there
My devialet 120 allows for hpf and delay .
Devialet recommends 4th order ( available from the configurator )
I just picked up a nice s/h Neumann 805

Whats the correct way to integrate the combo ?
How can I extract maximum SPL from the ls50 and result in minimal distortion using the neumann for bass duties
Do I connect the left and right output from the devialet to the Neumann or use just one lfe input ?
Finally .. is there a general consensus on what parametric eq is needed on Roon to obtain the best possible results from the ls50
Thanks chaps

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
LS50 measurements here,
Ideally you should measure then in your own room, Roon can add both the high and low pass filters, if the sub is near the mains you won’t need to worry about delay, but that too is available in Roon once you enable ‘procedural’ Eq.
Best,
Keith

OP
M

meracus

Remind me to put you on my will next time I see you …

OP
M

meracus

LS50 measurements here,
Ideally you should measure then in your own room, Roon can add both the high and low pass filters, if the sub is near the mains you won’t need to worry about delay, but that too is available in Roon once you enable ‘procedural’ Eq.
Best,
Keith
Also … how can Roon do that ? As in how can Roon split the signal to go to the mains / sub … not sure I understand

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Also … how can Roon do that ? As in how can Roon split the signal to go to the mains / sub … not sure I understand
If you go into Roon bottom right there is a little graphic of the end point next to that a little loudspeaker click that, chose the wiggly symbol click that and you go to the ‘muse’ page which is Roon’s EQ.
On the left hand panel there is a whole ist of things Roon can do, if they aren’t displaying click the ‘add filter’ button.
Procedural eq is what you want, use that for the left channel ( there is a switch for left/right ) then add another procedural eq for the right channel.
Then just literally add filters low pass , frequency slope , high pass etc etc.
When I come around I will show you but it is straightforward you just have to proceed step by step, making sure you are adding the filter to the correct channel that it has been enabled, the parameters are correct etc.
Keith

CapMan

Major Contributor
LS50 measurements here,
Best,
Keith
Not sure you can achieve this with the OPs set up. The Devialet is the Roon endpoint (I had one) So the HP/LP need to be applied in the Devialet as Roon just sees one device to apply EQ to in 2 stereo channels . I assume the OP has configured one of the Devialet outputs as a sub channel .

To answer the question - you need a UMIK1 and REW

I measured with 80,90,100,110,120 hz XO for both mains L+R with HP(ok as only interested in bass) and sub with LP.

Use REW to see which sums to the best (flattest response) - use the time alignment function in REW to align sub and mains for flattest response . I would not assume that near placement means this is not necessary .

Note the Devialet HP and LP filters are not standard Linkwitz or Butterworth. The are a variant of Bessel .

I spent a lot of time integrating subs and P3ESR with my 220 - if you need help feel free to PM

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I am not familiar with the Devialet but Roon most certainly can.
Keith

CapMan

Major Contributor
I am not familiar with the Devialet but Roon most certainly can.
Keith
Roon applies its processing to the end point. The devialet is the end point.

The Devialet has its own DSP (Sharc chip) and it is possible to configure one output to be a sub and apply DSP to this - LP filters/full range.

It is also possible to apply HP and delays the mains .

Devialet made 9 bands of PEQ available but it is not possible to use this when HP/LP filtered are used in the Devialet.

OP
M

meracus

Thanks capman …
Yes it’s what I thought .. Roon send full signal to the devialet
It was a “ shallow “ enquiry .. getting the sub to work with the hpf
Thought I delve deeper in the festive season
Hence if I could faff around with generic right direction paramètre
I’m thinking 80 and up to mains 4th order
And do below to the 805
For the moment I’m applying a sam profile to the 50 , nice punchy bass at low volume ( I listen at low volume mainly late night )
And was thinking how can I get a quick good sound from this combo ( 50 / 805 ) reasoning behind is that the 50 not ideal in the bass ( the driver on Sam seem to be within a micron of his life )
As you know … changing the card process is a bit annoying cos can’t be done on the fly
Hence why I’m asking
Roon can fix a bit some anomalies so thought I get a few pointers
Is it worth leaving the Sam profile on so you think , I heard Sam works on bass mainly and since cutting the mains at 80-100 , wondering if not overdoing it or totally useless
I’m all for the science , but you know … without reading the manual

CapMan

Major Contributor
Thanks capman …
Yes it’s what I thought .. Roon send full signal to the devialet
It was a “ shallow “ enquiry .. getting the sub to work with the hpf
Thought I delve deeper in the festive season
Hence if I could faff around with generic right direction paramètre
I’m thinking 80 and up to mains 4th order
And do below to the 805
For the moment I’m applying a sam profile to the 50 , nice punchy bass at low volume ( I listen at low volume mainly late night )
And was thinking how can I get a quick good sound from this combo ( 50 / 805 ) reasoning behind is that the 50 not ideal in the bass ( the driver on Sam seem to be within a micron of his life )
As you know … changing the card process is a bit annoying cos can’t be done on the fly
Hence why I’m asking
Roon can fix a bit some anomalies so thought I get a few pointers
Feel free to ask and I’d be happy to tell you what I learned . Main thing is to invest in a measurement mic and REW

OP
M

meracus

Feel free to ask and I’d be happy to tell you what I learned . Main thing is to invest in a measurement mic and REW
Thanks .. I already have a umik1 … I encountered An issue with loading rew on my MacBook Pro would gladly pm you
You are a gentleman

Top Bottom