• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lossless WIFI streaming maybe coming some to TWS

Jeromeof

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I see Qualcomm announced their next gen chipset for TWS and bluetooth headphones. And it includes something called Micro-Power WiFi which according to their press release can support lossless streaming up to 192 Khz

More detail here:

It will be interesting to see how long the battery life lasts connected to Wifi from a tiny device and with the rumour that the new AirPods Pro 2 also can use Wifi (in limited cases) seems like we are a year or 2 away from proper lossless hi-res audio over the air.

Note: I am dubious about calling LDAC lossless as it mostly involves recompression.

Last edited:

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And they re not saying 192Kbps if I understand it correctly, they are saying 192KHz.

[..] and revolutionary Qualcomm® XPAN technology further transforms the sound experience by enabling whole home and building audio coverage, support for up to 192kHz multi-channel lossless music streaming and enhanced multi-channel spatial audio for gaming.

The S7 Pro also includes micro-power Wi-Fi to extend the range of audio devices far beyond what is possible today using only Bluetooth – allowing users to walk around a home, building or campus while listening to music or making calls.

Multichannel, low delay (assuming low delay due to reference to gaming), wireless sound available all around the home or the office. That sounds like a bigger deal than lossless streaming to me frankly.

OP
Jeromeof

Jeromeof

Forum Donor
And they re not saying 192Kbps if I understand it correctly, they are saying 192KHz.

[..] and revolutionary Qualcomm® XPAN technology further transforms the sound experience by enabling whole home and building audio coverage, support for up to 192kHz multi-channel lossless music streaming and enhanced multi-channel spatial audio for gaming.

The S7 Pro also includes micro-power Wi-Fi to extend the range of audio devices far beyond what is possible today using only Bluetooth – allowing users to walk around a home, building or campus while listening to music or making calls.

Multichannel, low delay (assuming low delay due to reference to gaming), wireless sound available all around the home or the office. That sounds like a bigger deal than lossless streaming to me frankly.
Actually sorry yes mis-read that bit I will update my OP

Trouble Maker

Funny, I was just thinking about this general concept.

Last weekend I was working around the yard. If using something loud I usually just use some kind of hearing protection, but decided to listen to some music (Bose in ears). I was just leaving my phone on the porch. But every time I popped into a different part of the yard my phone wasn't, the music would start to cut out. Wouldn't it be great if they just worked anywhere in my yard!

Our lots not big (for US spec lots). I know our wifi works great in our not connected garage, so probably wifi would work everywhere in the yard. Worst case, add a few mesh points.

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
I see Qualcomm announced their next gen chipset for TWS and bluetooth headphones. And it includes something called Micro-Power WiFi which according to their press release can support lossless streaming up to 192 Khz

More detail here:

It will be interesting to see how long the battery life lasts connected to Wifi from a tiny device and with the rumour that the new AirPods Pro 2 also can use Wifi (in limited cases) seems like we are a year or 2 away from proper lossless hi-res audio over the air.

Note: I am dubious about calling LDAC lossless as it mostly involves recompression.
Yep...they claim the solved the WiFi power problem and are getting 96kHz lossless audio in ear buds. Apparently if WiFi isn't available, it switches to Bluetooth so if it does that...do you hear the back and forth? I bet you do.

CedarX

Forum Donor
Since this thread was about a Qualcomm announcement, it may be worth pointing their series of reports “The State of Sound 20xx Report”. They are more "surveys" than "reports" but are interesting nevertheless...

The latest 2023 report is available at: https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=6d42...0ZV9vZl9Tb3VuZF9yZXBvcnQlMjAyMDIzLnBkZg&ntb=1
You need to provide an email address to download the 26p report. The 2021 and 202 versions are also available.

The reports are obviously focused on TWS (it's Qualcomm after all...), but there are interesting broader findings:

2021 Key findings
  • Audio enhances the mobile experience
  • HD audio content seeing strong demand
  • Broad popularity of audio accessories for gaming
  • High-resolution sound is a differentiator
  • Lasting changes in user behavior post COVID-19
    • 57% say they will continue to use their audio devices more frequently after the COVID-19 pandemic ends.

2022 Key findings
  • Listeners are more driven by audio quality than ever
  • Spatial Audio is the next “must-have” feature
  • True wireless earbuds are becoming integral to mobile gaming
  • Battery life is still a key driver for speakers
  • Consumers are ready for Bluetooth LE Audio
  • The evolution of audio for hybrid working
    • As global working habits evolve, respondents expect a change in the way their audio devices are used for work, with 20% expecting to work more from the office in the next 12 months
2023 Key findings
  • Consumers are seeking one wireless audio device for multiple uses
    • Respondents want to use the same device for everything—listening to music, gaming and calls—with 68% indicating they would want to use the same earbuds or headphones for all activities
  • Comfort is key, because listeners are using devices for longer
    • This year, comfort is the #1 purchase driver for true wireless earbuds, driven by the fact that consumers are now wearing their devices for longer periods of time than ever before.
  • Listeners are actively looking for premium audio experiences, with music quality more important than ever
    • Premium audio experiences are front of mind for listeners, with 73% stating “I make sure that sound quality on my devices gets better and better with every purchase”, up from 67% in 2022.
    • Demand for music quality is also at an all-time high, with 69% of consumers listing lossless audio quality as a likely purchase driver.
  • Evolving work environments driving demand for new features
    • More than two thirds of respondents said they work in a public space such as coffee shop, a common area in the home, or a shared workspace. To cater for a hybrid working world, workers need audio devices which help them ‘hear and be heard’ both in the office, and in other work environments.
  • Consumers are seeking improved device range in the home
    • In current audio devices, ‘range’ was highlighted as the third largest pain point, with 79% of premium* device owners listing ‘whole home coverage’ as a likely purchase driver for their next earbuds.
The top-4 purchase drivers have not changed since 2021, but their ranking has flipped:
Driver2021 Rank2022 Rank2023 Rank
Sound quality134
Battery life243
Price312
Comfort in ear421

"One device for all uses" and "premium audio experience" are high-want and, to the question "How do you determine the audio quality of each of these devices before purchasing", "Check user/expert reviews about audio quality" was #1 in the 2023 report (38% of the responses).
This outlines the importance and influence potential of sites like this one... @amirm : Perhaps testing more TWS for audio quality, spatial audio features etc. is needed?

I would also agree with the 2023 #1 ranking of "comfort in ear". It is a hit-and-miss in the reviews and I find myself hesitant to spend more money for a better sounding TWS or IEM when I am not sure it would fit me comfortably. It may be an area lacking "standards" if it's even possible for IEM/TWS... Thanks to Harman, we have a good, science-based FR target to use as reference or starting point, but I don't think there is an equivalent for comfort/fit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom