• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

High resolution you can use. 108 Gigapixel scan of a Vermeer

Multicore

Major Contributor
I enjoyed this. It's a super high-res 3-D scan capturing depth information using small depth of field. Took 88 consecutive hours.

Explore the captured image here

Zooming is for a moment a bit like exploring those old Mandelbrot fractals.

OP
Multicore

Multicore

Major Contributor
I'd really like to see a hi-res scan of "The Concert".
This one?

1701261363671.jpeg

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Incredible, thanks for posting.

And I agree, a more complex Vermeer would be even more fun to see this for!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There are these 3D printed copies you can buy. A bit pricey, but said to be quite good. Only made with a 10 gigapixel scan though done in 3D. By the same crew who did this 108 gigapixel scan.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I'm waiting for them to giga scan some masterpiece only to find out it was a fake all along. LOL.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm waiting for them to giga scan some masterpiece only to find out it was a fake all along. LOL.
Watch "Made you Look" documentary on Netflix about the scandal around the Knoedler art gallery in New York.

Seen a couple of other such about finding quite a few fakes that experts approved of and they are hanging in prestigious locations around the world. In time technology will uncover more and more of those.

Elmyr de Hory was another successful forger that fooled many museums. A movie was made about Wolfgang Beltracchi who did the same thing, but did go to trial for it eventually.

Last edited:

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The fantastic book I Was Vermeer details the story of Han van Meegeren, who was charged as a collaborator for selling a Vermeer to Goering during the war. However, he substantiated that in reality he was merely a prolific forger who had actually fleeced the Nazis, winning a much reduced sentence for that crime.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Watch F for Fake!

Authenticity is a slippery concept. What's it for anyway?
Oh yes, I love that film. Have a copy of it around here somewhere. Orson Welles when he is good is very, very good. A shame he didn't make more films of all kinds.

OP
Multicore

Multicore

Major Contributor
I wonder what the copyright situation is like with this scan. If I use the web viewer and screenshot it to make a new image like the one below to use as covert art for my new release, who's gonna sue me for unauthorized use of the property?

1704998655131.png

Top Bottom