• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help with McIntosh MB20 x MAC

Taag747

Hi, I just bought a McIntosh MB20 and want to find a way to strem music at 24bit/192hz to it. I use a M1 MAC. Is it possible to do it cable free? If not what I need?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Didn't know the big blue had done a BT box like that. Whatever you stream to it will be converted to the BT codec, and it hasn't quite achieved lossless status if that's important to you....but it should sound decent....$500 decent I don't know, wouldn't buy BT at that cost, rather use wifi.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The MB20 doesn't support 24/192, the highest it goes is 24/48 via AptX HD. However, apparently it is a pain in the butt to get an M1 to use any codec other than AAC. https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/14qmf8q

Realistically, this should sound fine for casual listening, either way, but I would not necessarily recommend Bluetooth if you're doing critical listening on a nice system.

If you want to stream high res from your mac, I would say sell the MB20 and buy a WiiM Pro. It supports 24/192 via Wifi and Airplay, and it's a good bit cheaper.

I think the MB20 is good if you absolutely need both Bluetooth and balanced ins/outs, otherwise would not top my list.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would also add, if you must use BT for some reason, I'd recommend getting an LDAC-capable transmitter and receiver. That's the highest fidelity you're going to get from Bluetooth in any case.

Vincent Kars

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Bluetooth is limited in bandwidth hence it is lossy compression to remain below the 1000 kbs.
As you are on a Mac it is AAC (256 kbs). Excellent lossy codec but capped at 24/48.
As others warned, you will have a hard time to get any other codec (except SBC) to work.

An obvious candidate is Airplay2. However it is capped at 24/48 as well but said to be lossless when the sours is a Mac.
Your best bet is UPnP, it is a open industry standard supporting up to 24/192.
Have a look at the WiiM or a Raspberry Pi.

im_gumby

Didn't know the big blue had done a BT box like that. Whatever you stream to it will be converted to the BT codec, and it hasn't quite achieved lossless status if that's important to you....but it should sound decent....$500 decent I don't know, wouldn't buy BT at that cost, rather use wifi.
Actually it sounds fine.

I picked one up over a year ago while on sale.
Works great.

The reason I like it is that if I use wi-fi (airplay) there's too much of a delay and you can get nasty echo/feedback when on a zoom call.
In terms of listening... its fine.

Top Bottom