• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Field-coil drivers, pros and cons. Relics of the past, or still relevant?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
HaHa, they shine beautifully blue. :)

I remember power supply setups by Thomas Mayer (aka VinylSavor) with such rectifiers, which would be better described as 'lighthouse'. I don't like them that way, as they make a lot of RF noise.
That they do. But they're good for high power requirements at high B+ and controlled voltage drop.
Lots of "hash" though -- but in this age of digital signal processing and SMPS, it's a drop in the bucket! ;)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That driver uses a simple field coil like the rest of them. Its not a bad driver but it certainly doesn't do 20Hz!
I'm sure the cone wiggles enthusiastically.

ocinn

Some PA midwoofers from18sound have a secondary stator coil which could be used in a likewise fashion.
Wow, these are some pretty major advantages. H3 practically disappears in the upper (800-2k) frequencies in a lot of the tests. IMD is way down. White Paper
I haven't heard it talked about much, seems ideal for small 2-way PA Monitor style speakers that need to do a lot of vocal frequencies.

Newman

Major Contributor
Yes I have had those 18Sound midwoofers in my system since 2006, very cool tech.

Top Bottom