• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

closed

staticV3

Master Contributor
Just FYI, the Genelec 8010a is often substantially cheaper, and with only upsides.

You can easily use the XLR input with RCA sources, and should you encounter a ground loop, you can either modify the RCA->XLR cable to make the connection impedance balanced:

Or you can upgrade to a native XLR/TRS source.

In contrast, should you encounter a ground loop using the G One, you're kind of stuck with it.

OP
S

smokey_mountain_asr

Forum Donor
Good points, indeed. I had a pair of G Ones and they sounded mighty fine in my modest setup. I had a chance to buy Khozmo Passive Preamp for volume and Genelec G Four and had been enjoying them immensely but I am no longer in position to use them due to work commitments. Thus holding up $2600 worth of high-end desktop gear sitting unused is not an option for me. Once I source 8010a or G Ones, I will sell G Fours and Khozmo. Problem is that there are not too many quality passive preamps that are truly balanced design for less than $600, Chinese balanced passives are not really truly balanced designs and do not track channels as well as Khozmo does. However for RCA there are a couple passives that track channels well.

Top Bottom