• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can subwoofers cause structural damage to the house?

einssv

Yes, but they would need to be big enough and be fed with sufficient power to produce enough sound pressure to also cause physical damage to a human. I don't mean hearing loss. Think about how strong a blast wave from an explosion needs to be to blow out windows and crack walls.

If you are not experiencing actual pain in that room, your structure is probably safe.

Much lower levels are needed if you are talking about something like the "tofu dreg" Chinese construction techniques as documented by some youtubers.

Too bad Mythbusters is not around to test this.

Edited to add:

Google's AI says:
"Frequency and duration of a 100 dB sound pressure are much more critical than a static wind pressure of the same magnitude. However, a rapidly rising acoustic or blast pressure of 130 dB is commonly used as a design limit for blasting to limit window breakage. Glass usually breaks when the blast level exceeds 150 dB."

I hope no one is planning on listening to subwoofers putting out 130 db or higher.
You can hope but im going close to 130db in a apartment. Not smart move but i dont own a house atm.
And im here reading about structural damage. Doors between rooms didn't hold. All pieces are loose and i can see through them. Windows are holding for now. Wall between rooms start vibrate louder then subs. Only im not even close to 130db. Power 50% maby or less. Dont know how to use all power available without braking something

Car was 140db+, windows broken and frame weldings come loose also.

If you got any suggestions how to isolate room fell free to share

Top Bottom