• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cambridge Audio 851d cheaper better alternative?

TheDude

Hi all,

I have been using the CA 851d for some time and reading about advancements in digital hardware on audiophile forums and video blogs. My question, has the 851d been matched/surpassed by a newer less expensive product? Recommendations welcome.

I am running jriver 25 with Fabfilter pro q3 sap, fidelizer, matrix audio x spdif 2 for into 2 x Schiit Vidar power amp through to Wharefedale Jade 1 speakers.

Thanks

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Are you not happy with the 851d?
I don't think you'll notice any difference with a new Preamp / dac.
Unless your not satisfied with the headphone jack. Then you can the JDS Labs Atom headphone amp.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I think you will have a hard time finding something that is cheaper than the Cambridge and at the same time audible better.

Newer stuff will probably just have a faster CPU, support formats that your Cambridge might not.

Newer DAC chips don't have to be better , currently there is a shortage of chips everywhere and manufactures like topping just use whatever is available. Doesn't mean it has to be better.

Top Bottom