• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Boston Strangler's latest victim

killdozzer

Major Contributor
I was suffocated by this movie's sheer stupidity... I don't know. I wanted a reality check, so I'm writing this to see do other people notice this or am I making too much of it.

It looks like tik-tok's list of "feminism" bullet points. It's so shallow and superficial. It fails to deliver any sense of some injustice or negative sides of patriarchy. I mean "strongest" points were like; she had to ask AS MUCH as THREE time to be put on the story!!! :eek: Oh, dear! Such injustice... I can barely cope. And not only that but then she has to go to her nagging husband, to nothing but cold leftovers in the fridge and his b*itchin' for her eating it cold AGAIN!!! Wow, such deep gender-bending.

After going through this list of the dumbest day-to-day men bashing, it ends with a shocker, a deepest thought of all, a true crescendo (brace yourselves) - there's no Boston Strangler!!! ALL MEN ARE BOSTON STRANGLERS :eek::eek::eek: They all just learned that if they don't want to be caught kill*ing their wives, they just have to strangle them and tie a ribbon on their necks. This way it'll get attributed to the Strangler and you can walk scot-free. So just go ahead and do it, we know you all want to. You don't have to be sick to want to kill someone or even to kill again and again, you only have to be a man because that's sick enough.

Pure philosophy.

I dubbed Mr. Scott "Ridiculous Scott" (Ridley Scott) long time ago and I'm sticking by it. Heaven indeed took the better Scott sooner.

Adi777

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I dubbed Mr. Scott "Ridiculous Scott" (Ridley Scott) long time ago and I'm sticking by it. Heaven indeed took the better Scott sooner.
For me the best Scott is from first Alien and The Duellists ;)

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think I understand your point. The basic theory is there was no one "Boston Strangler " but more likely copycats.

Triliza

Forum Donor
I haven't seen the movie and I can't comment about it, but femicide is a thing, different reasons for different cultures, sometimes simply because men can't accept that their partner want a divorce.

OP
killdozzer

killdozzer

Major Contributor
heaven? ... is that another name for the L.A. Harbor? Is that because they're both repositories of waste? Leaving behind young twin sons... heaven?
Why do you say L.A. harbor? Is there any significance? Did Tony Scott die in the L.A. harbor?

OP
killdozzer

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Wow! I’ve never been triggered by a movie. Scared sleepless a couple of times though.
Not really triggered. For some reason I thought being a renowned author would enable you to do you own stuff not sliding down the latest tabloid fad. Don't you think there are more interesting and profound feminist topics than those you find GenZies bickering about on TikTok? I for one think there are.

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
killdozzer

killdozzer

Major Contributor
I haven't seen the movie and I can't comment about it, but femicide is a thing, different reasons for different cultures, sometimes simply because men can't accept that their partner want a divorce.
I prefer homicide to femicide, I think women are people too. From your insisting on the term being a thing, I gather you'd consider yourself sympathetic to the women's cause (I'm guessing and please don't get offended if I misjudged) and I am as well. I wasn't saying I don't want to hear about it anymore. I was saying reducing it to these superficial patterns is harmful for all included. Everyone involved should be concerned with oversimplifying the subject. This can only lead to less patience and understanding for the issue.

Of course, I understand when Beyonce does it. She is a considerably dumb and uneducated person. But I don't model my fight for the equal rights of women according to some fat a*ss singing "if you want my fat a*ss, you have to marry me".

I follow a channel on murders covering most of recent cases. You'd be surprised that it is in fact close femicide/androcide 50:50 and it is very often the same reason - the person doesn't want the other one to leave.

OP
killdozzer

killdozzer

Major Contributor
I don't think I understand your point. The basic theory is there was no one "Boston Strangler " but more likely copycats.
No, not really. There was more than one in the case of the "Hillside Strangler". There was Bianchi and Buono. Here, the movie gives the idea that it wasn't one or even more copycats. It was simply any inconvenienced man. If you wanted to get out, you could strangle her and put a bow on her neck.

Triliza

Forum Donor
I prefer homicide to femicide, I think women are people too. From your insisting on the term being a thing, I gather you'd consider yourself sympathetic to the women's cause (I'm guessing and please don't get offended if I misjudged) and I am as well. I wasn't saying I don't want to hear about it anymore. I was saying reducing it to these superficial patterns is harmful for all included. Everyone involved should be concerned with oversimplifying the subject. This can only lead to less patience and understanding for the issue.

Of course, I understand when Beyonce does it. She is a considerably dumb and uneducated person. But I don't model my fight for the equal rights of women according to some fat a*ss singing "if you want my fat a*ss, you have to marry me".

I follow a channel on murders covering most of recent cases. You'd be surprised that it is in fact close femicide/androcide 50:50 and it is very often the same reason - the person doesn't want the other one to leave.
It's not something to be offended by, it's not a term I came up with, it is used in some context to describe particular recurring crimes against women. It's useful to see the patterns in these homicides so something can be done about them not happening again. The issue is complicated of course, it's good in a discussion to have as much information as possible in the table.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But I don't model my fight for the equal rights of women according to some fat a*ss singing "if you want my fat a*ss, you have to marry me".

:facepalm:

It would appear you don't model it on anything.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I saw the movie. Thought was okay, not great. As the movie was pretty accurate on facts I did not perceive it saying all men were stranglers in the end. Only that due to hysteria, politics and face saving authorities were too quick to close the case rather than find the likely multiple offenders.

It leaned a little too much to the problem of working women in that time. There is some truth there however. I think someone must have been looking hard for an excuse to see the movie as you described it. There are plenty of recent movies for which your complaints ring true, but not this one in my opinion.

Top Bottom