• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bob James' "Feel Like Making LIVE!" in HPL Binaural format

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Found this on the HD Tracks link and gave it a listen:

HPL Binaural is a technology developed by NovoNotes, a Japanese firm to produce binaural-ish(?) content from non-binaural sources. Per their site:

HPL®︎ is a professional binaural conversion technology researched and developed in Japan.
We pushed the boundaries of "binaural for music" to see just how far we could go. The result? Minimal sound quality changes, minimal phase problems, and uniform panning in all directions.
The resultant sound quality is so highly rated, it’s featured in the production of high-quality high-resolution sound sources and the mix of numerous award-winning works.

That Bob James album is the only one I can find on the HD Tracks site that notes "HPL Binaural" in the listing.

My thoughts are yes, it does sound like a binaural recording in headphones, but not a particularly realistic one. The cymbals seem to be right behind my right ear and somewhat disjointed from the rest of the mix.

Curious to see if anyone else concurs with that. Thanks!

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Listening on my trusty iPhone, I clearly hear cohesion in the mix. Nothing disjointed. The staging is actually very intimate and binaurally holographic sounding with perfect separation of instruments through my headphones, bass in the dead center, hand percussion on the slight left in the mix, drums a tiny bit mixed on the right with a very slight emphasis in the mix volume relative to the piano on the slight left that is a slightly lower in volume on some tracks. I can see that some might find the cymbals overemphasized if they are targeting the Harman curve.

1679619195554.png

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How can I experience this cut without having to shell out $18.00?

Peace.

OP
sejarzo

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
How can I experience this cut without having to shell out $18.00?

Peace.
In a web browser, press the play button at far right for each track in the list. Samples are about 30 seconds long.

I don't know how that shows up on a phone, but it is visible on a PC, and shows up on my tablet when I press on the three dots to bring up !ore options.

Top Bottom