• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

are super duper expensive headphones like better than similarly priced speakers or something???

knkkskknk

Hail, ye seekers of sonic marvels

Within my armory, the RME ADI-2 DAC and the Austrian Audio HI-X65 Headphones stand in steadfast companionship. However, I find myself musing upon the procurement of a pair of mighty Genelec 8030 speakers to grace my musical feasts, despite dwelling in less-than-ideal chambers and having forsaken speakers for many a moon. These treasures demanded a hefty purse. thus, a whisper of uncertainty crept through the corridors of my thoughts. Might the same currency secure a regal headpiece, a noble Audeze LCDX or the venerable Sennheiser HD800? Could such a majestic crown unveil, articulate, and harmonize the melodies with superior prowess than speakers of equivalent coin? In my quest for wisdom, I seek to ask my fellow aficionados of sound, those who currently own both speakers and headphones of equal coin.

I beseech you, valiant souls, have any among you witnessed the enchantment of both speaker and headphone, each bearing the same esteemed value? Does one resonate with the magic of sound more splendidly than the other? Unveil your tales sonic adventurers

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey there Shakes! Love the writing.

I suspect the answers you are gonna get will be highly personal, and probably the best way to find out what you prefer would be to give it a try yourself.

I got a pair of decent speakers on my desk yet when I am listening by myself, I almost always prefer the headphones. I like headphones better because I you get better tonal accuracy and detail with headphones, and the bass response is much much better. A properly eq'ed LCD-X kicks like a donkey. Despite how great they are, 8030's can not do that. With budget no concern, speakers would be the ultimate winner I think, but when you take the value into consideration, headphones become a clear winner in my opinion.

radix

Major Contributor
In the realm of auditory indulgence, one is faced with the stark decision betwixt speakers and headphones. In the absence of cacophonous intrusions, my predilection leans towards the sonorous embrace of speakers, where I sense a liberation from confining constraints. Yet, when ensconced in the clamorous milieu of ambient dissonance, it is the faithful headphones that I turn to, seeking refuge in their insulating sanctuary.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The style :D
With budget no concern, speakers would be the ultimate winner I think, but when you take the value into consideration, headphones become a clear winner in my opinion.
No, IEMs probably take that crown, just see the latest 7Hz reviews.

As for speakers vs direct to ear, they both have pros and cons. It’s indeed a very personal choice. The major thing with speakers is that you can enjoy them with multiple people. As for accuracy, that isn’t clear cut either. Hearing things in a room has its advantages for realism as well vs direct to ear. I also have the feeling that for direct to ear, the ideal target curve less clear cut than for speakers.

brucedgoose

No headphones get the bass right, no matter how expensive, in my opinion. When you hear live music loud, like much live popular music, you feel the bass in your chest and through your feet. Headphones can't reproduce this, and its one of the most exciting aspects of live music.

Top Bottom