• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Alternative Stands for Magnepan LRS+

MarnixM

As lucky owner of a new pair of Magnepan LRS+ speakers I like to “raise” them 10 – 15cm above my living room floor. But in contrary to the speakers themselves to my idea the price for the stands (nearly € 300,-) is rather expensive. Next to that on this moment they are not available yet in the Netherlands.

So I looked for a cheaper, but firm alternative. I found a set of “universal TV-stands” as steady alternative. After shortening the vertical bearers to 3 holes per site I could mount my panes easy to them (wholes are at accurate position). The whole construction is very stable. Total costs are €100,-.

Stands are made by the fi. Wolff Mount and are available over Bol.com. (https://www.bol.com/nl/nl/p/univers...?Referrer=ENTcli_order_confirmation2008093611 )

Stands LRS+.png

DavidMcRoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've used something just like that to convert Magnepan wall-mount surround speakers to floor-standers. Worked like a charm and dirt cheap. They wobbled a little if you pushed on them but I probably couldn't have heard anything different in normal operation.

ethanhallbeyer

I wonder how I can do this but not have to cut metal? Are there any products that could be a solution out of the box? Or something I could put together with a visit to Home Depot or Lowes?

DavidMcRoy

I wonder how I can do this but not have to cut metal? Are there any products that could be a solution out of the box? Or something I could put together with a visit to Home Depot or Lowes?
You can buy those online. No alterations required.

ethanhallbeyer

Only 2 small jigsaw cuts were necassary (2 x 1,5 minute) and 10 seconds filing per vertical stand.

Thanks, I guess I just didn't want it to look unfinished. Filing and maybe repainting would make it look better, I guess.

DavidMcRoy

But without cutting it down, wouldn't the extra vertical length cause some indent to the fabric?
I don't understand how the length is a problem. The LRS isn't taller than the support brackets. The brackets are short enough to fit behind a TV screen. The length of the bracket adds to the integrity of the mounting mechanism.

Note that you will have to cut a hole in the fabric for each screw before screwing it in, otherwise the fabric will twist itself around the screw.

OP
MarnixM

MarnixM

Note that you will have to cut a hole in the fabric for each screw before screwing it in, otherwise the fabric will twist itself around the screw.
When you cut the vertical brackets to 3 holes they exactly fit to the holes on the maggies.

BadAudioAdvice

For those of you that have swapped the default stands to ones that raise them off the floor, what changes have you noticed with the sound?

OP
MarnixM

MarnixM

To be honest; not much on this moment. For several years I started with two Magnepan MG12’s as only front speakers (so the whole frequency range from the Maggies). At that time the lifting at about 10 – 15cm resulted in a decoupling in the bass section with my wooden floor; a dryer bass reproduction. Keep in mind that the bass production from a smaller model like the MG12 always is clean and present but never “slammy”; ideal for classical music and some Jazz, but when you love hard rock with loud electrical bass sections every “stand alone” maggie (maybe except the very large and expensive models, but I have no personal experience with these models) ) will be disappointing. Later on I developed two down firing, long stroke woofers in a closed enclosure (closed because I needed a good transient behaviour to follow the fast Maggies) and combined these woofers with an active, 24dB Linkwitz-Riley crossover separating on 160Hz and a four channel power amp. These woofers brought me the “extra bass body” some recordings benefit from. But by crossing over on 160Hz the benefits of this lifting of the new LRS+ panels disappeared and is now mainly used for an esthetical reason. Lifting Maggies is, based on my experience beneficial when you give them the full audio spectrum and you place them on a “reflective” hard underground, like wood or stone.

BadAudioAdvice

I have a pair of the MMG, and have been happy (acoustically and aesthetically) with them using the default stands, most often with having the little metal piece propping them into the slightly more upright position.

Living in an apartment, I need to be mindful of bass.

I've read many people rave about raising Magnepans up on stands etc, but I've also read just as many arguing against it...

What I noticed made a difference was placing them on the carpet, compared to on the bare floor. (Keeping the distance from the wall the same)

IMG_0093.jpeg

Rip City Dave

For those of you that have swapped the default stands to ones that raise them off the floor, what changes have you noticed with the sound?
The sound was as if a veil was lifted..........just kidding.

It did seem to raise the apparent height of the imaging.

This is my take on it:

I kept the original stands on my 1.7, then I added the vertical supports of the https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B9S787X8?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details to lift the speakers up.

PXL_20230803_113135825.jpg
PXL_20230803_113152779.jpg

KeesW2560

stainless steel risers for a LRS.

Attachments

• IMG_3423.jpeg
    IMG_3423.jpeg
    244.2 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_3421.jpeg
    IMG_3421.jpeg
    151.9 KB · Views: 97
Top Bottom