Search results

1. U

The Courteous Vinyl Playback Discussion

I'm sure I personally could do all of that, spending a ton of money on an endeavour that has moderate chance giving of a reliable result What I'm curious about is how does a manufacturer know? They didn't get these 0.3 or 0.1 degree specs out of nowhere, did they? There should be specific...
  2. U

Yes, the question is whether it is "close enough", does a servo linear tracker really deliver on its promise, and how do we know/check that Are the corrective motions small enough? What is the realistic upper bound on tracking angle error given a well-calibrated tonearm/turntable? Again, how...
  3. U

Thanks! I'm curious about PS-X800. I'm also a bit discouraged by all the anecdotal claims on the internet about how those servo-driven linear tracking tonearms function by error correction, and in practice have higher tracking error than pivoted arms. For example, see similar claims by...
  4. U

Hi, could you please share more information/links on this? Do you mean linear trackers like Technics SL-10 or Sony PS-X800 when you talk about getting the tracking error low? How low? Thanks again. I wish I had access to vinylengine, registration has been closed forever
  5. U

Thank you very much! If you have other technical literature on vinyl playback, please share. Textual references, links to articles, books, specific authors worth looking up - anything. It is been hard to find something like this on the internet, all I get is audio forums and audiophile...
  6. U

Doesn't angle of the cantilever change anytime it moves from side to side, meaning, anytime it reads a lateral modulation? Same for up and down and vertical modulation Also, if the stylus is riding in the groove, reading audible signal, how can it draw a high-amplitude 10 Hz sine wave on top of...
  7. U

So, if it helps, helps. If not, then not. Huh. The question was: if damping would help, *why* would it help, mechanically speaking? "As for my own arm and cartridge, the XLM has never sounded so good. The previously annoying records are now playable with absolutely no "bounce," no warbling...
  8. U

That is a test for "how well cartridge+tonearm" tracks a groove with infrasonic content. Well audible modulations of the main tone means we arrived at the resonant frequency of tonearm+cartridge. I don't understand how this test shows anything about how well a cartridge+tonearm system tracks...
  9. U

That's great Is the improved tracking measurable in any way? Or is it just a common wisdom that damping gives better tracking? Do we maybe get less harmonic distortion?
  10. U

I’m assuming that stimulus is vibrations from a rotating vinyl record on a turntable. There is always a noise floor, which comes from imperfections of the material, or from motor vibrations reaching the stylus. Either way, I think it is pretty safe to assume its spectrum doesn’t have a peak at...
  11. U

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. Still, we would have a peak on the spectrum of a captured signal, even if the 10 Hz stimulus isn't there, just noise. Does that mean that the system just responds less to stimuli with the same amount of energy, but outside the resonance region? Also, why did...
  12. U

Hi folks, maybe somebody can help me understand a thing about how record playing works When discussing vinyl playback, people often mention that tonearm and cartridge must match in some way. A cartridge+tonearm system that tracks a record has a resonance frequency, and common wisdom suggests...
  13. U

E1DA Cosmos ADCiso Review

Teapot/kettle=чайник, in the (rather outdated) lingo means something like noob
  14. U

Hello Mr Amir, thanks for taking time to write a thorough reply I think auto-translating what is written there and trying to view it through lens of ASR conduct standards is a bit misguided. I would like to assure you that it reads different in context of a russian-speaking tech forum, kind of...
  15. U

So, it's even simpler. Doesn't make it any less petty and disgusting I hope everyone can see that wasn't done out of genuine concern about honesty or about audio science...
  16. U

Re: personal vendetta - yeah, looks like it. More like стукачество though "Soo, hello Vanechka[1], nothing personal, it's just we are on opposite sides[2], considering your status[3] and engravings of "forks"[4] on PCBs" [1] a form of name Ivan (Vanya, Vanechka), in this context it reads as...
  17. U

Re: russian forums. It is true that what Ivan wrote wasn't very respectful, but reading too much into it is a mistake. Things routinely said over there would be considered rude, toxic and plainly unacceptable on majority of english-speaking forums. People can talk like that to each other for...
  18. U

Getting into measuring audio devices

Thank you! Managed to measure FR
  19. U

Getting into measuring audio devices

Hello everyone I have 1) An audio interface - Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen (2x 1/4 line level inputs, 2x 1/4 outputs) 2) A phono preamp which I would like to measure - Fluance P10 I'm interested in measuring 1) Frequency response (~=RIAA compliance, specs state +-0.5 dB) 2) Overload margins...
Top Bottom