Search results

1. R

Does something like this exist?

Well, that's gonna give me nightmares.... :)
  2. R

Thanks, I'll have a look at that. But I'm loath to do anything permanent like stapling stuff to the speakers.... Screens are not a thing over here though. There might be a few companies offering it, but it would take a fair bit of renovation work to get them fitted to all the windows. Also...
  3. R

I recently bought a new pair of speakers and I've run into what I think might be an uncommon problem. The speakers are small passive bookshelf units with ports on the rear, which is common enough. But the problem I'm having is that recently we've been seeing quite a few bees around my...
  4. R

Is 14 AWG good enough for speaker cable?

But... Isn't silver bad for vampires? :p Don't want my plugs to go flying off the posts or my speakers to turn into piles of dust!
  5. R

Thanks all for the replies and advice! Thanks! That's perfect and told me exactly what I wanted to know. There's no way my speakers are 2 ohm, but even if they were it looks like I could still drop down to 16 AWG for the lengths I'm looking at. That's a nice find. In my case I'd never...
  6. R

This one has me a little confused. I'm going to DIY some speaker cables, figure it's going to be under 6 feet (2m). I've been browsing through the forum to see what size I need/is recommended, but I don't seem to be getting anywhere. One post did mention 16 AWG is good enough. Then there's...
  7. R

How do I wire unbalanced outputs to balanced inputs?

Thanks! That's really helpful. Are the pinouts of balanced XLR cables an industry standard? (ie, there aren't some manufacturers doing things differently from everyone else.)
  8. R

How do I wire unbalanced outputs to balanced inputs?

Like the title says, I'm looking for information on how exactly to wire up a cable that will take a single ended output and connect to a balanced input. Or should I not do this at all? Browsing the net I've seen references to this being done, but have yet to dig up concrete wiring information...
  9. R

Seeking advice on an "upgrade"

I did try taking it apart to check for that or a bad cap or something. Unfortunately I only got so far. It was a bear to open up, the cables leading to the speaker units are plugged in at very awkward points, and there's copious use of potting compound or something similar. If I went further...
  10. R

Yes, it's definitely not a source or connection problem. Plus the power indicator lamp on the speaker started flaking out just before the static started. I think looking at the overall problem, my core question is what amps are out there that would fit my needs. I've aware of what Topping...
  11. R

Why so? As in, I don't understand why the source would make a difference if it's all digital...
  12. R

Budgetwise I'd like to keep it as low as possible. I'm a little flexible, but the LA90 is already pushing into "do I really want to spend that much?" territory. How far does "nearfield" extend before it stops being nearfield?
  13. R

It doesn't. So far I've had a listen to Q Acoustics, didn't like them. Elac - was nice, but the particular model I was listening to cost quite a bit more than the B1+. Am planning to see what their other options are like. It's just that so far the B1+ seem to offer a lot of bang for the...
  14. R

Current system is a desktop, I'm seated I guess 2 feet away from the speakers and they're mounted on foam blocks. The room isn't huge, Maybe 10 x 15 ft? Apartments tend to be small around here, so even if I move, it's almost certainly not going to be a big space. True, but the B1+ also...
  15. R

Well, not quite an upgrade... but I'm not sure what else to call it. The background: I have a pair of Emotiva Airmotive 5s' (powered speakers) hooked up to a Topping E30, and I've really enjoyed this setup. There's just one snag with it and it's that for the past few years there's been a...
Top Bottom