• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How do I wire unbalanced outputs to balanced inputs?

ripwire

Like the title says, I'm looking for information on how exactly to wire up a cable that will take a single ended output and connect to a balanced input.

Or should I not do this at all? Browsing the net I've seen references to this being done, but have yet to dig up concrete wiring information. But if this is a bad idea then I won't try it.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No problem at all doing that. Take the unbalanced signal wire to XLR pin2, and the unbalanced screen to XLR pin 3. Strap together XLR pins 1&3.

If you get a hum loop, which depends on how the unbalanced unit is grounded, then remove the strap and leave XLR pin 1 floating.

S

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No problem at all doing that. Take the unbalanced signal wire to XLR pin2, and the unbalanced screen to XLR pin 3. Strap together XLR pins 1&3.
1667804560693.png

Like so is a bit better :) Did this with CAT7, worlds like charm.

JaccoW

There are ready-made cables available that do this. One affordable one is the Cordial CFU FC.
Can be had for about €15 + shipping.

Very nicely made and supple cables as well.

terminaldiagram-fc.webp

OP
R

ripwire

Thanks! That's really helpful.

Are the pinouts of balanced XLR cables an industry standard? (ie, there aren't some manufacturers doing things differently from everyone else.)

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks! That's really helpful.

Are the pinouts of balanced XLR cables an industry standard? (ie, there aren't some manufacturers doing things differently from everyone else.)
Pin 1 is always ground/shield, Pin 2 is usually +ve, pin3 -ve, but a few older items have them the other way round. It doesn't actually matter whether you ground pin 2 or 3 except that the 'wrong' way round reverses polarity. Only an issue if you're phasing-up with surround 'speakers and/or your belief system requires the 'correct' polarity.

S.

Top Bottom