Search results

1. A

Truthear x Crinacle Zero:RED IEM Review

Very late to the party with these, and wired IEMs in general... the last pair I had were some Shure SE215 about ten years ago, which I loved, but left on a plane and never got around to replacing! These Reds are impressive I have to say. I find the impedance adapter gives me the low end that...
  2. A

On the lookout for mixing headphones

Nice - well do let us know what you think. I mix and produce electronic music so the VSX has been an absolute blessing for sub bass, among other things :)
  3. A

Topping E2x2 Audio Interface Review

It seems to be Topping’s answer to the ubiquitous Focusrite 2i2 - an entry level audio interface targeted at home recording types, musicians, beat makers, podcasters etc. The DAC in the E2x2 - while not exactly SOTA, seems to performs similarly to the 3rd generation 2i2. For the intended market...
  4. A

Best Noise Cancelling Headphones - Closed and IEM?

Have you considered active noise cancellation? I find it more or less essential for buses, trains, planes now as it kills the low frequencies and rumble from engine noise. Very happy with my AirPod Pro 2 here.
  5. A

I’m at a wedding reception and

And more recently became Mackie’s budget brand I believe… and given that I’ve never heard a pair of Mackie active PA speakers that I liked, I don’t have high hopes for these ones either I used to love my Tapco S8 studio monitors though. Unfortunately they were enormous and didn’t make the cut...
  6. A

Modern Dance Music

It's the evolution of the Roland TR808 kick. Very popular across many electronic genres now. They have a long tail that usually sustains at a particular pitch, so it's essentially like the kick drum and bassline combined into one. In this example there's also a bass guitar fighting for room in...
  7. A

On the lookout for mixing headphones

I'm mostly working on electronic music in a small room with neighbours on one side, and not enough physical space for bass trapping. For me VSX really shines when mixing the low end - and for that it was worth the price of entry alone. I'm not sure I'd want to mix an entire track with them, but...
  8. A

Budget passive preamp with stepped attenuator?

Yes indeed, it’s the 10K version. Apologies for misreading.
  9. A

Budget passive preamp with stepped attenuator?

I have this and it seems to do the job just fine. Looks cute too.
  10. A

Avantone Pro MixCube Monitor Review

Thanks for sending it in for testing, Michael! I've owned one of these since I read Mike Senior's book "mixing secrets for the small studio" years back - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mixing-Secrets-Small-Studio-Presents/dp/0240815807 where he theorized why the use of a mono, single driver speaker...
  11. A

M-Audio BX3 Monitor Review

I liked mine but they seem to have developed a loud mains hum. Got a pair when they were first released. The build quality always felt a little cheap and they’d occasionally make popping sounds when powering down - but the sound was good - considerably better than these BX3 I would imagine (of...
  12. A

SoundID SR For Headphones: Measurement examples and implications for mixing

Oh the marketing is annoying as hell. Thankfully my regular mastering engineer was a beta tester for VSX and I trust his opinions - so I got to ignore all the hype. As a fellow Brit, this review from Russ Hughes of Pro Tools Expert basically nails it for me -...
  13. A

Recommendation for ANC Headphones

Sounds like you’re in a similar boat to me - a Stockholm Syndrome relationship with Apple products :D but I’m very glad we had this conversation because yes indeed - I had a bad photo of my last audiogram backed up on a cloud from a few years ago. I load it into the custom audio setup within...
  14. A

SoundID SR For Headphones: Measurement examples and implications for mixing

Very good question and one that I don’t have an answer for quite yet. As someone who’s done a lot of mixing in headphones over the years, I was interested to learn from ASR that the HD650 seem fairly compliant to the harman curve. When I bought the HD650 in the late 2000s it was (rather...
  15. A

I wasn’t aware of this - thank you for the heads up! Does this mean that iOS does in fact have the facility to create a custom EQ curve system wide and it’s just hiding it??
  16. A

The AirPod Pro 2 are the first ANC device I've owned - to say they've been life changing is no understatement to me. There'll definitely be better ANC out there but I'm very happy with them - and as someone with hearing loss and tinnitus, being able to enjoy music at a sensible volume while out...
  17. A

Soundcraft Notepad 5 Audio Interface Review

Voted “fine” from me - I used to sell lots of very similar small format mixers bundled with active PA cabs for singers who were on a budget. The audio interface part of these devices is generally is an afterthought - but if it gives musicians on a tight budget some way of getting a signal into a...
  18. A

EVE SC203 desktop monitor speakers, first impressions

Do you still have both pairs of monitors? Co-incidentally I was A/Bing my SC203 against my friends iLouds last night. I was very surprised by the low end performance of the iLoud. I always thought the SC203 had decent bass for the size - but yeah in comparison the bass from the iLoud felt more...
  19. A

DAC and headphones for editing classical live digital music recordings on Windows PC

HD650s with Sonarworks and Goodhertz Canopener plugins would be my preference here :) https://www.sonarworks.com/soundid-reference https://goodhertz.com/canopener-studio/
Top Bottom