Search results

1. Nobleman

subwoofers with dual opposed drivers

Ok,judging by your signature obviously you seem to know lot more than me.I only shared what I believe to be true. I am not in audio business. This was my understanding.
  2. Nobleman

subwoofers with dual opposed drivers

These are called Isobaric design subwoofers. They are designed to cancel each drivers resonance frequency by creating two opposite waves of the same frequency and amplitude to cancel each other which stabilizes both drivers and make it possible to reach low frequencies at higher db levels...
  3. Nobleman

What gear you wouldn't buy because of its name or cult status.

Agree except for REL . These are expensive but pick one up second hand and you will not buy another sub ever. the control rel sub amps give you is exceptional. They are properly designed subs and does not require much space. Mine has -3db at 26hz and gives me control over high/low cutoff points...
  4. Nobleman

DIY Class A Amp

The new amp arrived today. Hypex Nc250 dual mono based. Transients are more full bodied now. With the 6000a they slim and slightly in the back but now they are powerful. But I’ve lost some of that black magic, ……that note you hear clearly out of nowhere in complete blackness which always put a...
  5. Nobleman

DIY Class A Amp

Thank you all for sharing the wisdom. I understand now.
  6. Nobleman

DIY Class A Amp

Does the amps wattage matter if I only listen at moderate levels? I keep hearing that my Magnepans need a high power amp to open up. What does this mean? The speakers have a 3amp fuse and my Audiolab 6000a puts out 75watts per channel and 7amps. It is true that I have to turn up the volume about...
  7. Nobleman

Power conditioners

Thanks guys. That’s settled then. Can’t wait to redolent my Hypex puppies this weekend! :cool:
  8. Nobleman

Power conditioners

Just bought a Hypex ncore based amp and given these are direct ac coupled, I was wondering whether the amp would benefit from a power conditioner/ noise filter. What is the general practice here?
  9. Nobleman

DIY Class A Amp

Don’t mean to rock your boat but I considered the Crown XLS Drivecore amps but the Noise floor is is in the -70db range so worse than most mid tier class ab amps. This was the only turn off. They got power to drive a small moon for sure…for PA they should be fine but def not for home listening IMHO.
  10. Nobleman

(UK London only) Martin Logan Aerius i for sale

Selling my well looked after Aerius i. They’ve served me well over many years and I’ve not driven them loud. Still sounds fantastic. I bought them in Japan so they are 100/ 120 volt. The step down former and conditioner is part of the package. Welcome to audition before you buy. I can deliver...
  11. Nobleman

DIY Class A Amp

AR9 Brings back memories…those were beautiful speakers. I was in love with them for quite some time. What happened to Acoustic Research?
  12. Nobleman

DIY Class A Amp

Thanks. I had a Luxman L510 back in the day which ran 1/4 power in class A but I could not hear any difference. Which is why I always wanted to try a high power pure class a amp. I understand the the benefit of class as that they eliminate transistor switching noise by keeping them on I.e the...
  13. Nobleman

DIY Class A Amp

But the question is whether the sound quality of class a is worth the power cost? Are they considerably better or is it just hype?
  14. Nobleman

DIY Class A Amp

I’ve never had a serious class A amp so wanting to hear the difference. Currently using an Audiolab 6000A and love it. It drives my Maggie’s quite well but it’s only 75wpc so have to turn up the volume quite high. Which is why I’m considering a class a build. As a self taught technical person...
  15. Nobleman

DIY Class A Amp

Been thinking of building a class A amp for quite sometime. Leaning towards some kits based on Krell KSA50 and Accuphase E270 based kits. Has anyone build any of these? What was your experience and result? Any recommendations? Thanks.
  16. Nobleman

To upsample or not...

Unfortunately my Magnepan 1.6s sound very different with upsampled tracks. it is very noticeable to me even at my age…
  17. Nobleman

To upsample or not...

No, the output sample rate is fixed in OSX.BUT a genius coder has developed a small prog called LosslessSwitcher which adds this functionality to OSX (Bigsur and above, intel macs only) I am happy as a clam now! The app is still beta but works quite well. The only annoyance is that it changes...
  18. Nobleman

To upsample or not...

For me it was not for improving quality. Not all songs are sampled at 24/192 in fact most of them are 16/44.1 or 48. In my case I moved from Tidal to Apple Music when Apple upgraded to lossless in June last year. But not all tracks are high res 24/192 but I did not want to lose out when I do...
  19. Nobleman

To upsample or not...

I've been trying to get High res 24/192 audio out from Apple Music and dabbled with the Midi config of my Mac Mini which I am using as the music server. I wanted to set the Midi config output to 24/192 from default 24/48 so that I will get a constant 24/192 output from my Topping D10s. I did not...
Top Bottom