Search results

1. B

Understanding Audio Frequency Response & Psychoacoustics (Video)

Wow, what an incredibly detailed and exhaustive study. Most people don't grasp the work, cost, and facilities involved. I laughed at the negative correlation between the speaker accuracy ratings by Consumer Reports and Harman. Similar to what Amir has said, people prefer speakers that are...
  2. B

Yes, meeting good standards is a great starting point for judging loudspeakers and headphones. I like products that perform well both objectively and subjectively. I'm not a fan of products with bad measurements, even if they sound good. Too many speaker designers fail to take the room...
  3. B

Sorry, I didn't realize you were talking about car audio instead of home audio. Yes, loudspeaker measurements are far more useful.
  4. B

True, but part of the fun of being an audiophile is buying products that are overkill in SNR, bandwidth, speed, dynamics, build quality, etc. Sigh, we fight noise pollution from many sources during our daily lives, but it's almost unavoidable. Ha, I get using a white noise generator. Double...
  5. B

Out of curiosity, I tried a variation of the experiment you suggested. Just below Middle C on the piano are A3, A#3, and B3. Tones are 220, 233, and 247 Hz. Near the top of the piano are A7, A#7, and B7. Tones are 3,520, 3,730, and 3,951 Hz (first link). I spread six tiny browser windows...
  6. B

Art of sound, I'm trying to connect the dots. My science and math background is limited. Perhaps I shouldn't confuse loudness and masking with resolution, but it could be argued that tones in the most sensitive region of human hearing should provide better resolution. Someone could also make...
  7. B

Sorry, I wasn't saying we can't discern tones above 5 kHz, only that we can discern tones more accurately from 2-5 kHz. Critical Bands, the basis of ERB, claim we can hear best at the highest frequencies, but it contradicts Equal-Loudness Contours. Funny, since both concepts were developed by...
  8. B

Amir is a wonderful consumer advocate, whom I respect for his knowledge and experience, but I must reluctantly agree with Andrej and jaakkopasanen. Non-technical explanations of this topic are difficult to find, so I'm curious where jaakkopasanen found the plot of ERB in octaves. The best...
Top Bottom