Search results

1. nintendoeats

Sony NW-A55L on Techmoan

Techmoan recently posted a video in which he performed an experiment with a reasonable attempt at blinding. He compared the Sony A100 and A55L DAPs, and consistently found that he preferred the more expensive A100. Link to the start of experiment: What do we think? I generally expect Sony to...
  2. nintendoeats

Do you distrust cheap ADCs?

I recently went through the process of finding a VGA capture card, and it revealed to me that I have a basic distrust of cheap ADCs. I can post-rationalize this (a DAC is simpler to design AFAIK, capture generally demands higher fidelity than output because you will usually need to post-process...
  3. nintendoeats

Does anything act like a Fiio K5 Pro, cost the same, but look...older?

I am planning to purchase a USB DAC/ Headphone amp combo for my father-in-law as a Christmas gift. Absolute max budget is 300 USD, and I'd like to keep it well below that. It must have RCA output on the back so that he can go between speakers and headphones without changing audio devices in...
  4. nintendoeats

The Audio Science Review Manifesto???

In the comments for the first Ciúnas Audio ISO DAC semi-review, @AndrovichIV and @LTig suggested having a FAQ or introduction to address common anti-measurement sentiments that people bring up. Since I am a professional technical writer and quite a fan of ASR, I thought I would try my hand at...
  5. nintendoeats

Why Don't Devices Have Built-In Ground-Loop Isolation?

I now have the joy of having installed two ground loop isolators in my computer's audio setup. Given that 99% of people probably have no idea what that is, I'm wondering why these things don't come built in to equipment at the mid-range and up. I'm sure that many a person has dismissed Brand X...
  6. nintendoeats

Seeking Recommendation of Flat, High-Isolation Cans

My main headphones are AKG K702s and Etymotic ER4s. I'm very happy with them (at the cost of the Etymotics I had better be!), but I just started an office job and the short version of the story is that I need to look at some comfy cans that will isolate me from conversations and other people...
Top Bottom