• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why Don't Devices Have Built-In Ground-Loop Isolation?

nintendoeats

I now have the joy of having installed two ground loop isolators in my computer's audio setup. Given that 99% of people probably have no idea what that is, I'm wondering why these things don't come built in to equipment at the mid-range and up. I'm sure that many a person has dismissed Brand X as "sounding like crap" because of ground loop hum, so it would behoove manufacturers to include internal mitigation. Is there some horrid disadvantage of which I am unaware?

Last edited:
OP
nintendoeats

nintendoeats

It is not a common problem so it is not always addressed. I agree for anything pricey, it better come with one.
Guess my equipment isn't posh enough :p

How widespread a problem are ground loops, and why does it affect some setups and not others? I basically assumed it was a normal thing since it's something I've been dealing with in my PC system for years.

Top Bottom