Search results

1. igufi

Can speaker's transient response be improved with a better amplifier?

The av-amp maybe, the subwoofer is probably too much. The sub is also a bit of a black horse: maybe the AV amp does a better job in integrating it to the speakers in my neighbor’s room and that contributes to the sound. My Elac should do ok but my pre-amp may have a poor implementation of the...
  2. igufi

Sorry, I did meen to sound so snarky - in all fairness the link was buried in my footnotes. :-/
  3. igufi

I think I'm to blame here, I did not explain myself properly. The R3 nor the Yamaha are not really the point - I am not planning on buying them, they simply happen to reveal an incorrect assumption I had: I assumed certain level of instrument separation with sharp attack of the sound was not...
  4. igufi

This is me maybe abusing the English language a bit - what I mean is that I would like to have the snare drum show some kind of "bite" and the clang in the piano should be clear and sharp. I've heard it in more high-end setups but assumed this was unattainable, until proven wrong by my neighbour...
  5. igufi

The room in my case we can ignore, as the my neighbour has an identical home and pretty much identical furnishing (sofa, tables etc). The listening spot is also the same down to 30cm ;)
  6. igufi

Fair enough. The only thing I did so far was to calibrate the amps with pink noise that for each speaker with a given volume level I would get 70db C-weighted noise reading from my sound level meter. I still have to manually switch the cable to the speaker and amp. Would it be safe to have both...
  7. igufi

Then it would mean that to improve from the current setup, the 242 speakers would have to be replaced as clearly I cannot achieve the sound that I want from them. What confuses me a bit is the fact that the loaners (Kef R3) sounded worse with my amp vs. the loaned Yamaha integrated. If all amps...
  8. igufi

I'm trying to figure out what needs to change to improve the transient response of my system, as the problem clearly is not external (i.e., the room). Just replacing the speakers did not do the trick so the problem lies possibly somewhere "downstream". I suspect it is the pre and/or power amp...
  9. igufi

tldr; assumed good transient response was out of reach for me but my neighbour proved me wrong. Not sure if I need to upgrade my speakers or get a better amp. Strong clang of a piano, distinctive snap of a guitar string and the sharp edge of a snare drum - I've heard those in expensive setup at...
  10. igufi

Topping LA90 Review (Integrated Amplifier)

Didn't NAIM make this their forte - every box has a separate, dedicated power supply?
  11. igufi

Recommendations for a bare-bones 5.1 pre-amp?

I have a budget of 2k€ and I think 2nd hand is the way to go. I am currently looking at the local market for used Anthem and Meridian preamps, for example. I understand the conflict of talking about Dirac and asking for a 5.1 analog volume/source control - if the built in D/A is good enough, I...
  12. igufi

I think the current "state of the art" for AV processors seems to be poor for the D/A part. I already have excellent D/As in the Klimax DS and Oppo, my hope is to find a reasonable volume control and input selector that resides between the sources and amplifier.
  13. igufi

I'm looking for suggestions for a replacement for my ageing Linn Akurate Kontrol pre-amp. Currently I'm using the pre-amp as: - a simple multichannel volume control for my 4.0 setup (soon to be enhanced with a subwoofer) - audio input selector for sources (1x5.1 and 2x2ch) - MM phono pre-amp...
  14. igufi

BBC research reports on bass traps

Came across these today, my apologies if these have already been discussed in ASR - a quick search did not show any hits. - “A MODULAR WIDEBAND SOUND ABSORBER” - G. D. Plum - “THE DESIGN OF A MODULAR SOUND ABSORBER FOR VERY LOW FREQUENCIES” - J.A. Fletcher, M.A.(Cantab.)
  15. igufi

SOLD: Devialet 200 (CONUS & Canada)

At least they changed the page :) my photo is from September 2019.
  16. igufi

SOLD: Devialet 200 (CONUS & Canada)

Hah, they’ve changed their lineup ...
  17. igufi

Devialet Expert 200 Amplifier, DAC and Streamer Review

You may be onto something. I found the following description for DPM: Source: https://www.devialet.com/media/wysiwyg/docs/manual-8-1.pdf
  18. igufi

Subwoofers with Parametric EQ

Re: question #2, I believe Elac’s 3000-series subs come with an app that allows you to set eq and phase with your phone. It will also do the calibration for you with the phone’s mic.
  19. igufi

Rythmik L12 Subwoofer Review

I’ve been wondering about this - I am on the market for a sub and I was thinking of getting a REL 212/SE but there seems to be absolutely zero measurements on it on the web. Same goes to the other modern REL models, which is suspicions, especially as the manufacturer provides quite sparse...
Top Bottom