• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendations for a bare-bones 5.1 pre-amp?

igufi

I'm looking for suggestions for a replacement for my ageing Linn Akurate Kontrol pre-amp.

Currently I'm using the pre-amp as:
- a simple multichannel volume control for my 4.0 setup (soon to be enhanced with a subwoofer)
- audio input selector for sources (1x5.1 and 2x2ch)
- MM phono pre-amp for a Linn LP12 turntable

Notably, I am not using any of the decoders or other multichannel features of the pre-amp; all the heavy lifting is done by other devices:
- Oppo BDP-105D for Blu-ray, multichannel decoding, and HDMI switching
- Linn Klimax DS for streaming and interfacing with the Roon music server

"All" I would want from the replacement is to support 5.1 line-level input/output via RCA plus at least 2 stereo RCA inputs. And of course measuring well on a test bench.

A fantastic bonus would be built-in Dirac Live 3.0 support for multichannel, but I can still survive without it (I have a Dirac VST plugin interfacing with Roon for 2ch music streaming and miniDSP nanoAVR for multichannel Dirac Live room correction for AppleTV and IPTV boxes connecting to the Oppo).

I can also get a separate MM phono pre-amp so having it integrated with a pre-amp is not a priority.

Any good ideas?

rynberg

Forum Donor
Not sure what you are trying to accomplish by replacing your existing pre-amp?
Why would you want Dirac if you're using only analog inputs? You would be much better served by just using a modern processor with room correction and using the HDMI output from the Oppo and digital output from the Linn Klimax.

OP
igufi

igufi

I think the current "state of the art" for AV processors seems to be poor for the D/A part. I already have excellent D/As in the Klimax DS and Oppo, my hope is to find a reasonable volume control and input selector that resides between the sources and amplifier.

JSmith

Master Contributor
5.1 pre-amp
Could be worth a look... unsure of any measured performance though;

1648721889941.png

5.1 wired but can add further active wireless surrounds.

This is discontinued, so you would have to find one 2nd hand;

What were you looking to spend btw?

JSmith

OP
igufi

igufi

I have a budget of 2k€ and I think 2nd hand is the way to go. I am currently looking at the local market for used Anthem and Meridian preamps, for example.

I understand the conflict of talking about Dirac and asking for a 5.1 analog volume/source control - if the built in D/A is good enough, I don’t have any reservations in simplifying my setup and just bringing all the sources as digital inputs. E.g. the miniDSP SDH would be perfect if it could handle multichannel sources (and I could sell the Klimax DS streamer).

buz

Forum Donor
I think the current "state of the art" for AV processors seems to be poor for the D/A part. I already have excellent D/As in the Klimax DS and Oppo, my hope is to find a reasonable volume control and input selector that resides between the sources and amplifier.
If you use Dirac with analog sources,. there will be an AD DA roundtrip involved no matter what.

For all the hate the Onkyo RZ50 got, it seemed to clear 16bit in the DAC stage and has DIRAC, so maybe that would be an option.

Last edited:

AlzalzS

Could be worth a look... unsure of any measured performance though;

View attachment 196691

5.1 wired but can add further active wireless surrounds.

This is discontinued, so you would have to find one 2nd hand;

What were you looking to spend btw?

JSmith
Hey, I’ve never used a preamp and this is exactly something I was looking for !!!
This can take my 2 channel analog and turn into 6 channels to the preouts that I can connect to bypass my receiver?

Will it make the sound quality better?

Top Bottom