Search results

1. pinpoint_oxford

Denafrips ARES II USB R2R DAC Review

Yeah, I am happy about the updates. For a $700 DAC that didn't advertise itself on continuous updates (like the PS Audio DirectStream), I never anticipated any firmware updates. It's moves like this that will keep Denafrips in my mind for recommending to others and, if I ever need a new DAC...
  2. pinpoint_oxford

So I listened to a couple of tracks with good bass variety and then upgraded and listened again. The bass might sound a bit tighter and less worbly, but if there was a change it's really subtle. Either way, still sounds great to me!
  3. pinpoint_oxford

Who's to say? They don't publish the source code so there's no way to know what they actually changed.
  4. pinpoint_oxford

In the release notes it specifies they tweaked the bass: I will install it on mine tonight and see if I notice anything.
  5. pinpoint_oxford

JBL L100 Reissue - $4000

Looks great! I absolutely agree with you about the bass. Honestly I was happy to get rid of my sub with these speakers.
  6. pinpoint_oxford

Master Thread: Are measurements Everything or Nothing?

My streamer is just a PC I built with USB out to the DAC running Roon as an endpoint. I use my phone or laptop to do all the same things you describe. My comment was more that I would not want to have my phone tethered to my hi-fi to listen, that is what seems bananas to me. If it works for...
  7. pinpoint_oxford

Master Thread: Are measurements Everything or Nothing?

The hidden secret is our brains and how we think something sounds :)
  8. pinpoint_oxford

Would an Apple TV do that? I don't use apple devices, so I wouldn't know. All my music is locally ripped flac or mp3 or Qobuz and just about everything supports that.
  9. pinpoint_oxford

I'm happy to hear you're enjoying your setup! I am curious about your use of the iPhone like this. That would drive me bananas. You may be well served by getting a dedicated streamer to use with your Ares II.
  10. pinpoint_oxford

I'm not putting any evidence on my claims, so you are probably correct. That said, sometimes a placebo works, so maybe this technological placebo makes me enjoy the music more? I've also got a tube amp I'm not even going to pretend to defend, but I like it all the same.
  11. pinpoint_oxford

Curious to hear your thoughts! I moved from a topping d10s in my main system to the ares ii and enjoy it quite a bit! I think it sounds better, more alive maybe? I also like the R2R topology and the engineering behind it. It's very clear denafrips takes pride in their engineering work and...
  12. pinpoint_oxford

Denafrips Ares II - is it really worth it?

This is one of the reasons I bought my Ares II. It replaced my Topping d10s in my main system. Does it sound better? I don't know, I honestly haven't done an A/B. It does sound objectively excellent, so I'm keeping it. It also has things I like better about its literal design/appearance, and...
  13. pinpoint_oxford

JBL L100 Reissue - $4000

The black backing is certainly plastic, but I honestly cannot tell if the whole frame is plastic or fiberboard. You can feel a rough outline on the inside cutout that feels more like fiberboard than plastic. The veneer is real from what I can tell, it looks and feels identical to the rest of...
  14. pinpoint_oxford

JBL L100 Reissue - $4000

This is probably true, since the 75s supposedly have a better crossover and bi-amping as the only technical differences.
  15. pinpoint_oxford

JBL L100 Reissue - $4000

Looks like they measure 15.25" x 25.25" (Please excuse my frame shadow in the last photo).
  16. pinpoint_oxford

JBL L100 Reissue - $4000

I couldn't agree more. The L100s are not 10x better than something $400, but they are better. There are also some non-audio benefits I was looking for such as appearence (the grills especially), weight, craftsmanship, included stands, etc. I think it should be more acceptable to consider some...
  17. pinpoint_oxford

JBL L100 Reissue - $4000

Yeah, I don't have an excuse for JBL here. It's not ideal, but it doesn't really bother me as I love the grills and only remove them at the request of friends who want to ogle the drivers.
  18. pinpoint_oxford

JBL L100 Reissue - $4000

I have the L100 classic 75. The cabinet quality is top notch. The wood veneer is applied really well and is seamless on all sides. The grills are easily removed and attached too. The only thing that some nicer speakers have are magnetic attachments to the grills so you don't see holes when...
  19. pinpoint_oxford

PS Audio DirectStream DAC mk2 hilarious ad copy

Before I knew what I was doing and relied mostly on Stereophile for guidance, I thought gear would help. After upgrading a few things and not noticing such an improvement I was promised, I spent some time trying to figure out what I wanted and what was missing. I ended up selling a few things...
  20. pinpoint_oxford

Denafrips Ares II - is it really worth it?

The steel chassis and linear transformer does make the Ares II heavier that many other DACs, anyway.
Top Bottom