Search results

1. I

Poll: Best Looking Stereo Integrated Amp

...I think this one was an import.
  2. I

Reliable/reputable digital photography sites?

Which obviously isn't a zoom, costs several times more than he wants to pay, and is much larger than his spec.. Honestly, as someone who hates phones and has shot with quite a range of cameras, I'd just buy a good phone for this job. The enormous processing power and heavy investment in software...
  3. I

Those aren't low light scenes, surely? Yes, you may have been standing in the dark, but the window displays were lit up. I mean, you can see the lights in the picture... Also: if you use a polarizer you should be able to get rid of the problems you're complaining about.
  4. I

Well, no. The most important content on the page are the completely freaking objective response graphs and hue maps. As for your complaint about settings... I don't think you understand the issue here. This isn't about pleasing "tonality" but about how over exposure is handled by the sensor...
  5. I

More importantly, cameras with collapsible lenses suck in air every time the lens is extended. If they're carried in your pocket there's a chance that the lens will suck in pocket lint that's stuck to them. If this gets on the sensor, you will set it on the image.
  6. I

Yes you can. But the curve can't recreate missing data. If the sensor misses low contrast variation and reduces it into flatness, then how on earth will darktable (I prefer rawtherapee) has no way of knowing what was there. How can it??? A curve can fill in gaps between 1 and 11 so you get eg 1...
  7. I

That isn't really a thing. Fast zooms combined with big sensors are heavy and expensive. I'd guess that the G1X comes closest - it has a zoom and an APSC sized sensor. I don't know the price. Again, check the lens when you buy it. Suggestion: you might be better off with a good phone and a set...
  8. I

Ok: you didn't understand what I said. Which is that no sensor has a single curve - you have a range of curves for (at least) different contrast levels. A lot of consumer level sensors over specialize in the high contrast part of the curve at the cost of the lower contrast level. This is why pro...
  9. I

dxomark's tests are crude and stupid to the point of being harmful - they encourage manufacturers to optimize for the test at the expense of real world image quality. They favour sensors that are very good at resolving high contrast detail, but this comes at the cost of often reducing the...
  10. I

The problem with RX100 is sample variation - https://blog.mingthein.com/2014/05/06/qc-and-sample-variations/ Basically, fast zooms are the worst case for QC. Add in a very low price and you get quite a few dogs. The trick is to buy from a seller with decent returns and check for decentering -...
  11. I

Android phones for PowerDAC v2.1? Y-splitter?

I'm thinking of buying a PowerDAC 2.1 - partly because I think it's a brilliantly cool piece of tech and I'm curious to hear what it sounds like. But I don't have an Android phone or an iPhone, and the thing needs one as an interface. So I'll buy a cheap one, maybe used - not a problem. But... I...
  12. I

Comfortable closed back headphones for eyeglass wearers?

Just put a tape measure around your head and quote cm if it comes up: actual hat sizes don't seem to used much any more. I'm around a 64cm, which is as big as a human being gets without getting forced into a freak show. Otoh my gf's head is small even for a woman and the same headphones fit both...
  13. I

I have to say that I'm dubious. Firstly there's no substantial muscle there to provide padding. And I honestly can't remember ever seeing someone with a *literally* fat head. In fact the head is designed so you can't have major amounts of fat or muscle on the skull - brain cooling is a major...
  14. I

I bought new glasses last week. I have to say, I didn't see an "enormous" variation in arm designs for glasses. Colour, yes. The shape of lenses, yes. But I don't really think these things are going to affect seal... The biggest variation I've ever seen is between frames with thin metal arms...
  15. I

Driving H25s: any point going beyond the LG 7 Thinq?

According to my check, the Thinq was limited for all markets except perhaps Korea. So I should get a match for the phone reviewed here. Very good point!
  16. I

Driving H25s: any point going beyond the LG 7 Thinq?

I love my HD25-1-ii's - they suit the music I listen to and they're tougher than a Glaswegian tank raised by a Cockney cagefighter. Which definitely matters, given the way I knock gear around. And they're very, very easy headphones to drive. I'm also a big believer in EQ, especially using pink...
  17. I

My head is huge - so big that a lot of XL winter hats won't go over it. But the area around the ears should be pretty flat on all skulls, surely?
  18. I

I wear glasses and HD25s. You just have to adjust them properly. Or maybe it's ear shape. But zero problems - my memory was that it wasn't a problem even when I was first trying them out. You have to remember that maximum clamping force on the HD25 is designed for a pro sound engineer in the...
Top Bottom