Search results

1. N

Some interesting thoughts from mastering engineer Bob Katz

I wouldn't inconvenience electrons to engage with his starting point.
  2. N

Some interesting thoughts from mastering engineer Bob Katz

The fact that he thinks this "test" means anything at all should tell you everything you need to know.
  3. N

Let's develop an ASR inter-sample test procedure for DACs!

I dug out the file to refresh, this is the mix untouched. Currently has 3.5 million plays on Spotify :)
  4. N

Let's develop an ASR inter-sample test procedure for DACs!

Fulltime Mastering Engineer here. There's been some discussion about maximum possible inter sample peaks. The worst I've measured was +12.5 dB using the Meters in iZotope RX. This was on a remix for a very well known artist on a giant hit song about a year ago. I never decided if the true...
  5. N

$300 DAC with reliable power down / power up behavior

Good info thanks. The actual level will be set from the upstream digital source, so it just need to default power up with no attenuation.
  6. N

Great, Topping is my Preference depending on power down/up behavior. Thanks!
  7. N

It will work but we have probably 50 discrete pieces of equipment in this rig an there will be outages that exceed the capacity of a UPS.
  8. N

Thanks dzerig! I'm not formulating the question properly. I definitely want to mains power the unit. The crucial requirement is that if mains is interrupted that when it comes back online that the unit will return to the settings it had before power down. It is being hidden in a rack an does...
  9. N

Also, the goal is not to spend more that $300 so ADI-2 etc are out of budget (though I have used in many projects and like them a lot). Cheers, Ruairi
  10. N

Thanks for the info, I don't think I was clear in my question. The DAC will run on the mains, I don't want to run from battery or from a UPS for complicated reasons. It's part of a very very compressive 9.1.4 Atmos rig and this DAC in particular is serving in an unusual role. The key point is...
  11. N

Hi All, I'm looking for a DAC only (no headphone amp) with balanced outputs and great performance, budget around $300 USD with one important criteria. The DAC is being used in a complex pro audio situation where occasional (accidental) power downs are a possibility. I need the DAC to reliably...
  12. N

THREAD DELETED

Without looking too in depth, an 18 dB/Oct low pass that close to the working frequency range will cause phase shift. That's not a problem for the bass driver in isolation but it will likely be a problem for the acoustic summation between the bass driver and what driver is above it in the...
  13. N

Review and Measurements of Holo Audio May --- Probably the best discrete R2R DAC

John, Mastering Engineer and D90SE user here. Apologies for the 4 year later bump. Can you elaborate on the above point?
  14. N

Lynx Aurora(n) 8 - thoughts?

I haven't made that comparison. I wasn't in love with the sound of the previous generation of Aurora. I own a Lyra and it's great, but disclaimer I used to work part time for Prism Sound
  15. N

Seems like a no brainer!
  16. N

Full time Mastering Engineer here with a long history of listening to and evaluating objectively pro audio AD and DAs. The Lynx is great, and their support is excellent.
  17. N

SOLD: TOPPING D90SE DAC - Black - Excellent - $495

Hi All, Purchased this from @SloPoke and wanted to leave feedback. His communication was excellent, shipped next business day and everything was as easy as could be. Recommended seller!
  18. N

FS: Dan Clark Audio Expanse

Is that you Nacho?
Top Bottom