Search results

1. duppy_conqueror

System Upgrade Advice

Update... Because of my large room, two dealers immediately recommended floorstanders. So I've heard... Larsen 4.2 Wharfedale Lintons Vienna Bachs Epos Epic 5s Monitor Audio Bronze 200s I really liked the MA Bronzes the first time I heard them. Listened to a blues track the owner picked, then...
  2. duppy_conqueror

Different Audition Room Conditions

I think dshreter said it above...they have limited space. It is a great little audio shop with a very helpful staff. The guy showing speakers was great. I just have no idea how any of those would 1) sound in my living room and 2) come close to what I think is ideal.
  3. duppy_conqueror

Different Audition Room Conditions

TL;DR - what would you listen for in a dead room/anechoic if broad soundstage is your goal? What type of reference tracks would you use to hear it? (mine below) I am currently auditioning speakers. The first store I went to, Hawthorne here in Seattle, set me up in a listening room which was...
  4. duppy_conqueror

System Upgrade Advice

If I was going to be really detailed about it, I'd look up what positioning a particular orchestra uses. For strings, there really are two that I've seen used in the states from left to right: 1st Violins Violas Cellos 2nd Violins (Basses behind the 2nds and Cellos on the right) and 1st...
  5. duppy_conqueror

What electronic audio products you want tested most

Pardon my ignorance if I'm wrong, but: https://www.schiit.com/products/lokius https://www.schiit.com/products/loki-mini-3
  6. duppy_conqueror

System Upgrade Advice

This just an absolutely kick ass post. Thank you so much for the advice, especially the math. I think every situation is unique, but I don't think I'll hear speakers like my space in a show room. But that math gives me something to check things against. I probably won't do DIY...I don't have...
  7. duppy_conqueror

Zu Audio Dirty Weekend vs Tekton Lore Reference vs ELAC DBR62

This probably is not a point in their favor. "Please take my wife...I mean Zus". :P
  8. duppy_conqueror

The Polks look interesting. The HSU look sharp, but are apparently a little lazory. Again the concern is filling the room and not sounding thin. Perhaps this shouldn't be as much of a concern. Apparently, the ELACs do this just fine (read amir's full review, duppy).
  9. duppy_conqueror

Here's the thing about if the RB42 bothers me...I don't know better yet. The best sound system I e really heard was at Magnolia with their overpriced BW stuff. It sounded better than my Miccas obviously, but I was there for about 5 min with no serious intention of buying anything (I get sheepish...
  10. duppy_conqueror

Anybody know if there's a hangout with him/other folks in Seattle? Probably not so much right now cause pandemic, but it would be nice in the (hopefully) near future.
  11. duppy_conqueror

They look good, but are too big. The Zus are the pushing it with the wife and are only acceptable because they look great. :(
  12. duppy_conqueror

As of now, the amp will be a Schiit Vidar, but things seemingly change weekly. I think the Vidar and other on brand stuff is hot Schiit.
  13. duppy_conqueror

1) What branch are you in...I'm catching some military vibes. If Japan, probably Marines? I know they're on Okinawa. I was in the Chair Force. Thank you for your service if I'm right. 2) I'll think about the speakers...I have research to do. The wife wanted the raw Hickory, but she'd probably...
  14. duppy_conqueror

Seems legit and what I was thinking myself. amir is a great expert source, but he hasn't reviewed the two other speakers on my list...but I suspect he would probably not recommend the Zus.
  15. duppy_conqueror

Yup, this is all over the forums from the links in my original post. It also has people joking about the Zus. Something to consider.
  16. duppy_conqueror

Interesting turn around of the "significant other approval factor". What! You're trading them out for THOSE??? These look so much better. I don't know how much I care about bass, as even the positive reviews say you might need one. And the poster that suggested the 10" driver also said that I'd...
  17. duppy_conqueror

Binaural blind comparison test of 4 loudspeakers

I have difficulty choosing if I don't like the recordings. I am a real "classical" music snob, so feel free to tell me to piss off. The vocal track, which I don't know but it is probably somewhere around Bach's time up to maybe Haydn, is polyphonic music where one should hear each line and the...
  18. duppy_conqueror

I'd love to hear your opinions on them. I also have a reflective room mostly, though we have a couch on a rug just in front of the listening area, some pictures and other mats in the room. But it is mostly hard wood and drywall with a stone fireplace right next to where the speakers will be...
  19. duppy_conqueror

You tempting devil. Could I afford those? Yes. But I'd have to sell some assets. And I wouldn't be buying those. I'd be on Ohm's site buying a pair of Walsh 3000s.
  20. duppy_conqueror

Sounds like advice one would get on an...wait for it...Audio Science site. I do glaze over when I hear Robinson go on and on about how lush it is etc. But I must admit, other than this site, I have not found solid sources for such small manufacturers. That "they didn't get them to me for 2...
Top Bottom