Search results

1. W

Horns sound this way? Ribbons sound that way?

Slightly differnt perspective on this. Horns or even accoustic guide assisted speakers are typically more efficient and often much more efficient than dome / ribbon tweeter based design. More efficient = less energy required to reach the same SPL. Just turn it up more, right? Nah, it's not quite...
  2. W

Can different CD *transports* sound different - when fed into the same DAC?

I've heard differences in line leveled DAC's, particularly the late 90's and early 2000 that were liked getting kicked in the head. We did A/B/X comparisons with people who admitted they had wooden ears and even they could easily spot the differences and double blind confrm what DAC was what...
  3. W

JBL Studio 630 and Studio 698 - Review & Measurements by Erin

This follows me theory that one reason high end speakers cost so much more and typically deliver flatter response is they are having drivers made to much higher tolerances and limited production runs even though the actual driver components are made the same. Engineer designs a nice flat speaker...
  4. W

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

Has anyone actually listened to vinyl objectively vs a well mastered CD with a good DAC? Just turned your ego off and just focused on the differences? Vinyl, due to the way sound waves are reproduced via groves in the record impacting a stylus ever so subtly exaggerates detail, especially in...
  5. W

Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 V2 - Review & Measurements by Erin

I'm going to betcha that the low sensitivity was a result of not compromising on the crossover to get as neutral a response as possible from both those drivers. And / or these are off the shelf drivers that don't quite match in terms of dB levels, so the tweeter was brought down a bit vs making...
  6. W

Wilson Chronosonic - why?

I wouldn't disagree with that, but, there's one difference. As neurotic as the studio crowd is and dripping with caffeine from their pores they tend to have picky ears and and aren't interested in the color of cables or unobtanium wrapped interconnects. :-) Again, I always liked the sound of...
  7. W

Wilson Chronosonic - why?

I'm looking ay these things and reading reviews, and walking away scratching my head. No, it's biased envy towards the people that buy them. These beasts do address shortcomings in multi driver designs with time alignment, and I've heard older Wilson's back in the audio showroom I used to work...
  8. W

What's Left In Speaker Design To Reduce Distortion/Increase Detail Retrieval?

Going back to my hifi selling days. You guys ever notice that the really, really high end speakers all tend to be effing HUGE? Either these massive horns you could rent as an apartment in tokyo, or huge arrays with stupid amounts of piston area or ribbon / planar hybrids. Our ears are most...
  9. W

Have Slim Floorstanding Speakers "Had Their Day?"

The problem is that most thin profile speakers are mostly compromise. MTMs do really good in a thin design, but now most of these low profile speakers are just doubling up piston area for bass. If they emphasized mid range detail and transient response thin speakers could carve a nice niche...
  10. W

Speakers that are unforgiving of poor-quality recordings - is that a thing?

Friend of mine has a pair of older Legacy Focus, and those things are utterly brutal when it comes to subpar recordings, especially older rock.. The Focus are basically giant, 5-way monitors with an absurdly massive frequency range and damn near horn like sensitivity They are also d'apolito...
  11. W

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

The amusing thing about Vinyl is it only succeeded as a recording medium because it was cheap to mass produce and had such low resolution it masks limitations in the recording process. 1/4" reel to reel thumps vinyl as an analog reproduction source in both a subjective and objective capacity...
  12. W

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

When people come up to me at work and say "I have a question" I quickly answer 42. The reaction tells me the intelligence of the requestor.
  13. W

Speaker recommendation for my use case?

OHM Walsh. Massive Soundstage and they like walls. BMRs will beat them on detail but lose on Soundstage.
  14. W

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?

I apologize if I've responded already on this, but to rehash my experience on this: About 20 years I used to sell high end audio. I only did it for a bit to make some extra cash, but I always had VIP access and made some great friends with the sales staff. If they needed a clinical set of ears...
  15. W

Should more emphasis be given to speaker (& driver) size in reviews + what is the ethos of this site?

Its not driver size as much as its mass that dictates clean spl at lower frequencies. Larger drivers typically have more mass than smaller ones, although the rule is not linear. The OP is dead correct. A 6.5 " driver cannot pressurize a standard room regardless of the size of box its put in an...
  16. W

GR Research Klipsch RP-600M Upgrade Review (speaker)

Why are you yacking about a Harman curve when the speaker here had a severe crossover design defect? What Curve? It was a black hole. It may not even have been intentional. Just lazy manufacturing. Who cares about the guy who loves his un modded 600Ms. He also probably likes Mich Ultra and...
  17. W

GR Research Klipsch RP-600M Upgrade Review (speaker)

I have a lot of friends with various Klipsch and none of them are neutral. Some are pretty bad. Some are tolerable. Higher end Klipsch I sold 20years ago were far superior. What nobody is discussing is that who says all speakers on this line are the same. Klipsch may have originally designed a...
  18. W

What makes a center speaker "project" sound away from the enclosure better than others. Can we tell from measurements?

Don't use a monolithic center. Movie theaters don't do this. Why should You? I solved this problem eos ago and many of my friends utilize it with very high set ups. A single center speaker artificially localizes center channel information. INSTEAD Use two satellites on either side of the...
  19. W

Published Research on Bi-Wiring Speakers

Whistle! Right here folks. Why in 2022 do we still have passive designs at all. I know Danny at GR research is pretty polarizing, but his acoustic tests on some fairly highly respected speakers show just how bad passive crossover networks are implemented. Im sorry, but passive cross over...
  20. W

Published Research on Bi-Wiring Speakers

Bi-wiring requires you buy an extra pair of over priced audioquest speaker cables along with Cardas carpet elevation blocks from Virginia unicorn wood, so I doubly impress my friends. That's good, right? /sarcasm Where I disagree with responses is bi-amping. For larger towers I've heard...
Top Bottom