Search results

1. Langston Holland

ASR dummy load configuration

Radio tech is often transferrable to and usually precedes audio "discoveries" by decades. : ) Pat Brown of Syn-Aud-Con (also called Pro Sound Training) made a fancy one in 2011. Ham radio transmission power can be huge just like the output power of the largest professional audio amps, thus the...
  2. Langston Holland

That's pretty impressive already. The service manual indicates 0.03% THD (doesn't seem to include noise) at rated output for 20Hz, 1kHz and 20kHz. 20log(1/0.03%) = SINAD of 70.5dB. Betcha a nickel it doesn't clear 100dB (that's the highest bet allowed in my family). : )
  3. Langston Holland

PS Audio Stellar Review (Phono Preamplifier)

Makes complete sense. MM cartridge mfg's spec'ing a fairly tight RC load range clued me in on that - but the physics of the little electrical generator with a cantilevered needle gliding through a miniature mountain range and transforming mechanics into (amazingly good) music reproduction seems...
  4. Langston Holland

The MM cartridge specs that I've found recommend load capacitances between 150-300pF. I chose the mid point for the simulations above. Nevertheless I also found a lot of schematics that only use 100pF, thus I did the following comparison out of curiosity.
  5. Langston Holland

Why do I have this sneaking suspicion that Amir isn't responding to this little thread diversion because he's waiting for us to catch up? : ) It was reasonably proposed that we simulate a MM output impedance from the analyzer output when measuring SINAD and possibly other phono preamp transfer...
  6. Langston Holland

I certainly miss stuff all the time, thus I'm learning all the time. : ) I'll look into this, but it's not possible to do a SINAD (or any kind of distortion) test without a generated signal fed into the DUT, thus I don't see how the inputs could be shorted. Maybe you're referring to a pure noise...
  7. Langston Holland

I see your point, but you're not considering some things that would answer your criticism if you looked a little deeper. 1. He has standardized input signal levels for MM to 5mV. The Cambridge Duo was his 5th phono preamp review and he was still experimenting with the procedures that would best...
  8. Langston Holland

NAD PP 2 Review (Analog Phono Preamplifier)

I just found a manual for your unit and something unusual happened. I was right. Kinda. There's at least two manuals, one says no MC the other says high-output MC only. Whatever. : ) See the edit to my post on the NAD 3140 above.
  9. Langston Holland

Nope. I just looked. Found a service manual for your unit from a Croatian service center. The Internet is amazing.. Your unit apparently handles MM cartridges only*, but it also looks like a better circuit than the PP 2. The only way to be sure of course is to measure it, but it looks like a...
  10. Langston Holland

Someone like Amir would have to answer that - I'm a committed vinyl newbie. BUT. I have some thoughts.. 1. I'm convinced you're right to connect pops and clicks annoyance to phono preamp headroom. When clipping occurs in the analog domain (digital is worse and another topic), we perceive it as...
  11. Langston Holland

Introduction This is actually a review of a old phono preamp that I bought off eBay for about $40 and put into use after replacing the electrolytics. The problem with this review is that it includes a short story (that you can skip!). Short Story I confess that I'm human. I know, I know - I...
  12. Langston Holland

Conclusion My ARCOL NHS300 (Non-inductive, 300W) 4Ω 1% power resistors are innocent and have been released by the parole board with a work permit on my bench on account of good behavior with secondary duties as a boat anchor. I'm convinced that amp characterization using this resistor series...
  13. Langston Holland

Audio Blind Testing - You Are Doing It Wrong! (Video)

Wonderful review. Learning how hard it is to keep people from deceiving themselves ought to provoke humility. It certainly has for me. I'm finding it more and more difficult to make perception statements without qualifiers such as "I think" or "it appears that". : ) A note on Matching Levels...
  14. Langston Holland

Preliminary Conclusion At this point my ARCOL NHS300 (Non-inductive, 300W) 4Ω 1% power resistors appear to be innocent of bad behavior. Summary The only amp I used to test them with today is the Hypex NC400, which as Amir noted uses lots of feedback to achieve its world-class distortion specs...
  15. Langston Holland

Perfect. Thanks. Great idea. I hope we're not screwing up this thread with our back and forth, if so, somebody in mgt. say something and I'll quit. Otherwise, I'm still learning and that'll likely end when we're done cranking up the heat. I'm not surprised - the AHB2 has increasing output...
  16. Langston Holland

I'm pretty sure it's not that simple at audio frequencies, though it certainly makes sense near DC where things move verrrry sloooowly. That 3rd HD equation is found in the section titled "Thermal Modulation at Very Low Frequencies", which it states is "typically less than 0.2Hz". Still, your...
  17. Langston Holland

Snake Oil Department, Top This

Well said. : ) "Perhaps more than any other discipline, audio engineering involves not only purely objective characterization but also subjective interpretations. It is the listening experience, that personal and most private sensation, which is the intended result of our labors in audio...
  18. Langston Holland

Nice work. Your paralleled resistor impedance measurements are as good as I've ever seen. : ) Consider (for example) loudspeaker impedance plots with 5Ω or so between each horizontal line. If you used that kind of vertical resolution, your traces would be flat to Buzz Lightyear. My boat...
  19. Langston Holland

Incorrect. The Barth paper was not specifically referencing carbon resistors and it did discuss wire-wound types. And cermet, metal film, physical attributes and construction methods. Unlike yourself, they performed real experiments and developed test procedures to detect VCR for their...
  20. Langston Holland

You really should specify your measurement parameters as the results are presented. I thought you were using (4) paralleled 16Ω 50W resistors linked to previously. Regardless, Hofer's paper was aimed at low power applications involved with the design of AP measurement gear, while this thread...
Top Bottom