Search results

1. P

Extreme Snake Oil

There was a while where I was thinking of pranking a bunch of subjective review sites by sending them a "preproduction" "HD800 Adapter", a device for making amps that the HD800 "doesn't like" work better with it. Of course, it would just be a couple of resistors on the L and R lines to increase...
  2. P

Extreme Snake Oil

Saw that video, suspected it would get posted here. I find it remarkable that the cutting head is manipulated by a little spring loaded lever instead of a screw mechanism like a lathe. If it's just you pressing it against the edge of the disk with your hand there's no reason to expect it to...
  3. P

We measure audio equipment for free!!!

I thought they just said they didn't make any claims but it looks like they made claims.
  4. P

Audio-GD NFB-11.38 Performance Edition Measurements (DAC, Preamp & Headamp)

I get why it was brought up, my NFB-5 performs worse enough with USB plugged in (even if the source remains optical) that I was able to see the difference using just RMAA and my soundcard. Amusingly this also fits with my theory that the less a piece of Audio-gd equipment costs, the closer it...
  5. P

VTA ST-70 Review (Stereo Tube Amplifier)

I was thinking that this was performing like a stereo guitar amp.
  6. P

Topping DX5 Review (DAC & HP Amp)

A full course in perception is beyond the scope of this forum post but the short version is that's not how soundstage works.
  7. P

Topping DX5 Review (DAC & HP Amp)

I find it a bit annoying that so much of the topping line up requires the use of the remote to switch inputs/outputs. Probably going to just go with a D10 balanced and a monoprice 887 to avoid it.
  8. P

"Things that cannot be measured"

I have a pet theory that certain types of amplifier induced distortion mimics the sort of distortion you get at a live venue. Basically, I think it's a psychoacoustic effect. I would need to quantify the sorts of distortion that live venues cause to know if there's anything to it, but I don't...
  9. P

Dan Clark Stealth Review (State of the Art Headphone)

I generally like seeing impulse response tests because good headphones tend to look one way and less good headphones tend to look not that way. Plus, it's nice for seeing if they've reversed the phase for some reason. This one looks remarkably like an open headphone, which seems to be the point.
  10. P

Shenzhenaudio Topping EX5 Review (DAC and Headphone Amplifier)

What features are remote control exclusive in this?
  11. P

Topping A30Pro Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

What headphones is that comparison using?
  12. P

DROP + SENNHEISER PC38X Review (Headphone)

The K702 being a spacious headphone while the HD600 being a closed in sounding headphone is interesting if true, because if so it does actually lend credence to Tyll's aforementioned theory on what I THINK he called "time of arrival" information. The Innerfidelty site is gone so finding it...
  13. P

Long term durability of planar diaphragms

There are Fostex T50's from the 70's that still work so I don't think the configuration has any inherent fragility.
  14. P

DROP + SENNHEISER PC38X Review (Headphone)

Here's a video of Dolby Atmos vs simple stereo in Overwatch: There's also this, let's call it a strongly opinionated video, comparing several different types of HRTFs: HRTFs of this variety are very complicated, partly by their nature, partly by their underrepresentation in the related...
  15. P

Would a differential amp have the same volume from RCA and XLR inputs (assuming spec voltage)?
  16. P

We measure audio equipment for free!!!

Yeah I was also thinking about sending amir my NFB-5 once I get something else that can power my HE-500's, but given that it's long discontinued the only value I could see in the process was testing my theory that Audio-GD equipment has an inversely proportional relationship between cost and how...
  17. P

i want to buy 1 amp jds laps atom.

Audioengine doesn't give any specs for how much power the D1 outputs, but its total draw is one watt, so the Atom would be more powerful pretty much by default.
  18. P

So I take it there's nothing that accounts for the input level difference between RCA and XLR (assuming normal voltage)? Would a differential amp have that ability? First I've heard of someone running an electrostat transformer off a headphone amp, not sure what the current requirements are.
  19. P

Dealing with EM noise

Hmmmmmmmm, fans.... let's say at 300 RPM that's 5 RPS, but the magnets are probably switching multiple times per revolution, but how many polarities would such a simple motor have? Most that I've seen inside have four coils, so I'm going with 2, which would be 10 Hz, but a stepwise signal so...
Top Bottom