Search results

1. J

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Measurement Update

The details of the Bose case are very interesting. Decades ago, a product I designed (in a completely different industry) was trashed in a magazine review. I subsequently learned that the reviewer was doing paid consulting work for our closest competitor at the time (which, needless to say, was...
  2. J

Proposal: Right to Fair Review (RFR) Association

Yes -- I think the deterrent effect would be significant. Bullies hit people who they think are not able or willing to defend themselves. OTOH, insurance can create its own problems. Insurers tend to prefer to settle even garbage claims rather than go through the cost of a trial. That can...
  3. J

Fosi Audio V3 Mono Amplifier Review

About 70 cents per watt for performance that is provably indistinguishable from the state of the art. Glad I'm not in the high-end amplifier business.
  4. J

Ascend Sierra-1 V2 Speaker Review

This speaker is visually indistinguishable from hundreds of products from other manufacturers that measure far, far worse. Just goes to show that much of the time the things you can't see (like painstaking optimization) matter a whole lot more than the things you can.
  5. J

Down4Sound JP95 Car Amplifier Review

Agreed. But by the same token, if you are looking at the audibility of amplifier-generated noise, don't you need to take into account the spectrum of all the other sources of noise as well? And then there's the whole other psychoacoustic rat's nest of auditory masking (which underlies lossy...
  6. J

Down4Sound JP95 Car Amplifier Review

And that noise is dynamic, varying with speed, road surface, weather, etc. This is why I am a bit puzzled by concerns about THD, S/N, etc. in car stereos. If peaks are (dangerously) at 100dB, and background noise is at, say, 70dB, you have only 30dB of audible range to work with. That's about 3%...
  7. J

Mytek Brooklyn Bridge II Streamer Review

This. I bought a sub-$1k Cirrus 7 fanless to run Roon, which includes HDMI output for multichannel, which this very expensive box does not. I see the integration of so many functions in one box as a bug, not a feature -- even if you ignore the performance hit. Separates make upgrades and...
  8. J

Mytek Brooklyn Bridge II Streamer Review

This right here is why I have lost faith not just in the Stereophile/Absolute Sound-style reviews of high-end audio, but in the whole high-end audio ecosystem. Mytek isn't some obscure, tweako garage shop that could be forgiven for screwing up the basics. If you can't count on basic competence...
  9. J

Lehmannaudio Decade Phono Stage Review

Weird to see such a beefy power supply, and real heat sinks for output devices, and yet have headroom be the limiting factor.
  10. J

JBL 4312M II 3-way Studio Monitor Review

I know this is a small speaker, but it looks like the bass response is already 3dB down above 100Hz, and 15dB down by 50Hz. So it isn't just the top end that is seriously flawed. Whether it is $1000 per speaker or $1000 per pair (your text didn't specify), this is a ridiculous product.
  11. J

Juson Audio JTA35 Tube Amplifier, DAC & HP Amp Review

Kind of a bargain. Big-name tube amps make you shell out thousands more for performance this bad.
  12. J

HIFIMAN Susvara Headphone Review

Was going to make much the same point. The two products even look somewhat similar.
  13. J

Anthem AVM90 AV Processor Review

I don't need 7, but my NAD has only 3 HDMI inputs, and it isn't enough.
  14. J

DALI Oberon Vokal Center Speaker Review

Impressive at the price. I am not sure I would characterize the extra brightness as a flaw, given that this is a center channel speaker, and in home theater setups that is where the dialog tends to go. I intentionally dialed in a bit of this in Dirac for the center channel in my HT setup.
  15. J

Aune AR5000 Headphone Review

The HD800S is also roughly 5X the price of this Aune. I tried the 800S a couple of times and liked them, but that's a hefty premium.
  16. J

Marantz Cinema 70s AVR Review

Will the great work Marantz did on the AV10 trickle down to lower-priced products? All we can say based on this disappointment is, "not yet." For now, like the Rolling Stones' anthology, Marantz is sucking in the 70s.
  17. J

3e Audio TPA3255 Amplifier Kit 480-1-29A Review

Amazing stuff. While true excellence in loudspeakers and over-ear headphones still requires significant spending, there's simply no longer any *audible* justification for kilobuck DACs, power amps or in-ear monitors. I expect the repercussions of this sea change to take a while to ripple through...
  18. J

7Hz Salnotes Zero IEM Review

If I hadn't already bought (and been very happy with) the Crinacle Blue, I'd be all over these. Excellent sound has never before been remotely this affordable.
  19. J

Marantz AV10 AV Processor Review

I disagree. The cost of developing a product affects both its profitability and the decision to build it. Yes, R&D tax credits exist (in the US at least, but most products Amir tests are not developed here. I don't know how it works elsewhere.). If a company is choosing between launching two...
  20. J

Marantz AV10 AV Processor Review

A very significant review -- a milestone, even. A mainstream, name-brand consumer electronics company has proven that a mainstream, name-brand consumer electronics company CAN produce a thoroughly competent AV processor for which no apologies need be made. The price is prohibitive for me, and I...
Top Bottom