Search results

1. A

JBL A180 Tower Speaker Review

+1. I got my A170 from jbl.com about a year ago and wasn't charged tax (10% for my location).
  2. A

I'm very, very pleased with the sound of A180 mod. After side by side listening of my A170 and A180 mod I made A180 mod front speakers and A170 surround ones. @Dennis Murphy, you're a legend!
  3. A

I ended up using 3m velcro picture strips on short sides of each board plus small pieces of foam adhesive weatherstrip in the middle as vibration damper. Very low tech, I know ;-) I couldn't put screws in such a limited space. I lifted the speaker padding and cleaned the dust from the bottom of...
  4. A

Apologies, don't know what happened there. Here is the list with links: - Crossover PC Board 2-Way 12 dB $3.99 Quantity: 4 Total Amount: $15.96 - Dayton Audio DNR-1.0 1 Ohm 10W Precision Audio Grade Resistor $1.49 Quantity: 2 Total Amount: $2.98 - Dayton Audio IC181 1.0mH 18...
  5. A

Reporting my progress on Dennis Murphy’s mod for A180. Had to do some corrections for my order as the 3-way crossover board simply wouldn’t fit into the existing cut for the original crossover. I ended up ordering 4 2-way boards. Tweeter and bass crossovers were done on separate boards. This is...
  6. A

I think it's a great idea to get donations for shipping costs. I'm in. @Dennis Murphy
  7. A

My bad on the diagram, thanks for noticing and correcting! Fixing and updating right now. And thanks for the feedback on tweeter response, appreciate it.
  8. A

Thank you. I took the liberty to re-create your crossover in XSim using my first attempt to do speaker measurements based on Udemy course. I do indeed see a dip in frequency response when I change polarity of top woofer! Please don't judge me, I'm having way too much fun learning! Attached is...
  9. A

This is what I'm ordering - shipping is free from $99, just add some spare items. 22 Item(s) in your cart: $96.16
  10. A

Dennis, thanks a lot for posting the crossover schematics. Can you help me to understand if you wired both woofers in parallel or used separate crossover for each woofer? Also, did you try to get a phase alignment by inverting polarity of the twitter and checking for good null (dip in frequency...
  11. A

Simple crossover mod to remove speaker brightness A serial resistor of 7.4 Ohm for twitter removed extra brightness of A180 speaker and made it much more pleasant to listen to (@amirm I'd love to get your feedback on the approach). I used a spare 100 Ohm potentiometer connected with alligator...
  12. A

Denon S760H

I picked up Denon S760H at Costco for under $500 and I’m very impressed with this budget AVR. Very easy to use Audyssey EQ setup (mic is included), I paid $20 for their app to play with EQ as much as I like. I’m no longer looking at MiniDSP ;-). It allowed me to setup my 4 speakers and subwoofer...
  13. A

I hope to see it in the future, in the meantime I did try to reconstruct the stock A180 schematics (without inductivity values). Crossover frequencies are 1.4kHz and 1.8kHz, it should be possible to calculate the inductivity numbers from there.
  14. A

Some more pictures of the insides of A180. Also, from hometheaterhifi review:
  15. A

REW - A180 vs A170 (separate for tweeters and woofers) Some amateur measurements in REW using DaytonAudio iMM-6 calibrated mic, 4 sweeps, tweeter on-axis about 4 feet apart from the speakers. Have fun! (Update: just realized I used twitter instead of tweeter ;-)
  16. A

Awesome! Please share the crossover mod when you’re done with it
  17. A

IMHO, A170 sounds much better than A180 side by side. A180 is too bright. I’ll quote @amirm: At the same time I don’t see a reason why it can’t sound much better (at least as good as A170). I’m very curious about a crossover mod from experts in this area.
  18. A

JBL A170 crossover photos for comparison. Whatever they did in A170, they did it right. A170 sounds ways better to my ears. Could it be the crossover?
  19. A

Inside JBL Stage A180 - crossover filter photos:
  20. A

best class d amp for 200 euros

Maybe a crazy idea but I would be seriously considering buying TWO Aiyima A07 amplifiers (under $200 for both) to get more power and low distortion. I own Aiyima A07 and love it, it drives floorstanding Jbl A170...
Top Bottom