Search results

1. SamV

Resolve's B&K 5128 Headphone Target - you can try the EQ's.....

There have been 2-3 price hikes in the last couple of years. B&K blames covid.
  2. SamV

Speed Reading DAC Audio Measurements

aah! Thanks for the clarification! :facepalm:
  3. SamV

Speed Reading DAC Audio Measurements

Thanks for the video Amir. Quite informative. :) Quick observation: I noticed that the balanced input for the CD players RMS level test is at 2.5 Vrms. Shouldn't it be 5 Vrms, or am I missing something? Could that explain the low RMS level of the CD player? Sam
  4. SamV

AKG K701 Headphone Reviews (China and Austrian Made)

My experience is that K701, K702, K712, and Q701, are pretty much the same headphone.
  5. SamV

LTT Lab is going Brüel & Kjær

We wanted to use Harman's method (attaching a MEMS mic to the Sennheiser Momentum in-ear) but soldering the MEMS is not that easy.
  6. SamV

Can't tell if you're joking or not :-) I was talking more about their calculations. For example, not including the full audio spectrum (20Hz - 20kHz) allows for some headphones with a bad response at the extremes of hearing range to slip through. Also, quite often, I found the slope calculation...
  7. SamV

Last time I asked, B&K wasn't going make different ears in the near future. Maybe we can make them ourselves, but that's not the highest priority for now.
  8. SamV

This is fair. What I did at RTINGS was more on the experimental side (and we were open about it), but here the plan is to be more legitimate from the start. We will still experiment, since we what to improve what's already out there, but only when we can confidently defend our work. I don't...
  9. SamV

We haven't been able to find a way out of the measurement variance issue yet. It seems unless one does personalized measurements, headphone measurement results are always going to represent the average human, not any individual. We are also not concerned with our measurements not matching...
  10. SamV

I don't think there's a way to get around the issue of variability in measurements, especially since the variabilities happen on humans too and can be non-linear. I agree with you on the IEM seal issue, but that problem exists on the 711-based fixtures too, although to a lesser extent. We did...
  11. SamV

That's the plan. As mentioned in the notes, this was just a taster, we're working on improving the methodology.
  12. SamV

Finding a reliable way to do this objectively is on our agenda, but it may not be that easy. It's also not the highest priority test for the beginning.
  13. SamV

We wanted to measure the bass of IEMs on humans as well, and even got the equipment for it. But we couldn't get around building the rig during the rental period. We might still do it in the future.
  14. SamV

Cool, most of those are already on my list. I don't think it's going to be video-only.
  15. SamV

We got an extra rubber ear and chopped its pinna off. It was identical to the regular one we used except that it didn't have the outer ear. The 10kHz dip was one of the calculations we did. Another one was the amount of pinna effect (boost). I believe the 10kHz is the result of a cancelation...
  16. SamV

Haven't had that chance yet. That would require two different HATS, and extra ears for each to chop of their pinnae, which would be quite costly. I wouldn't expect a constant transfer function between KB5000 and KB0066 (were they using the same coupler?). I think the size and angle of the...
  17. SamV

Excellent Presentation on Headphone Measurements

I did develop a method for measuring soundstage (and imaging) while I was at rtings, and I think your work supports my methodology. Although, our scoring/ranking wasn't based on listening tests due to a lack of resources, so the results should be taken with a pinch of salt. Watching the video...
  18. SamV

One I would have liked to clarified in the soundstage scores while I still was at rtings, was that even the best passive headphone soundstage is decent, at best. So the difference between the soundstage of a pair of near-field monitors and the HD 800 S is way bigger than the difference between...
  19. SamV

Can you guys tell whether this MDR-7506 is legit not fake just from the package?

I often wonder, why not make the sound identical too when they can get everything else so close?!
  20. SamV

Master Complaint Thread About Headphone Measurements

This problem can be solved for the most part on the headphone's side. A bunch of ANC headphones use the internal microphone to check for the seal and compensate for it. QC35 II and XM4 already do it. I just hope more headphones do it in the future (you don't even necessarily ANC for it). That's...
Top Bottom