Search results

1. JunkHippo

What was your best (and worst) audio purchase for the dollar?

Best - Neumann KH 310 speakers: sound awesome, and just a well engineered product all around (e.g. no hiss, reliable, useful filters, extensive documentation...). I got a decent deal on a new pair, enjoyed them for 5 years, then upgraded to Geithain and sold the Neumanns for almost the price I...
  2. JunkHippo

WARNING: Geithain - Vintage King Order Problems - USA Customers...Passives next?

On that note I can say that my MEG 921k are silent, you have to put your ear next to the drivers to hear hiss. Just in case this is someone's only concern with the built-in amp. or tank grade furniture? :D This was one of the reasons why I chose them over Neumann 420. The choice of basically...
  3. JunkHippo

WARNING: Geithain - Vintage King Order Problems - USA Customers...Passives next?

I'm late to this thread, but as owner of Geithain speakers (though based in Germany) I want to add on the topic of technical service that the amp units in these speakers are very service-friendly. They are easily accessible and I believe even individual circuit boards can be removed and...
  4. JunkHippo

Noisy digital audio on LG TVs

I can share that I have an eARC extractor now and go via the Toslink output to my DAC. For your last question @rossfoo I can confirm, basically an eARC HDMI port sends the digital audio and the extractor takes that and puts it out via coax or Toslink to your DAC. However since I didn’t have...
  5. JunkHippo

Review and Measurements of Benchmark DAC3

Thank you for your replies! Seems like it's not the standard behavior then. @RichB I don't yet own a DAC3, I was just trying to find out about this potential aspect, after having read about it in two places.
  6. JunkHippo

By "standby" I actually meant when the unit is switched off - that's when the noise occurs for some people.
  7. JunkHippo

I'm considering replacing my Funk preamp + Lake People DAC stack with a DAC3 HGC. The only thing I'm worried about (except the hole in my wallet) is the high-pitched noise (coil whine presumably) when the DAC3 is in standby. It's been mentioned once in this thread and in a user review on a...
  8. JunkHippo

@pvehling : Thank you for confirming that this is an issue for some! You didn't try an (e)ARC audio extractor with these TVs and DACs by any chance? As stated in the link to JDS Labs in my original post, the issue depends on how the DAC handles jitter from the TV's optical port. Quoting from...
  9. JunkHippo

Not yet, I may order one in the next days. For my setup, it's less of an acute problem: I have no sound dropouts and it doesn't sound horrible. It's just a slight feeling that it could be better (compared to my other digital source), and that is most likely biased from having read about the...
  10. JunkHippo

Perfectly reasonable! It's just that I have this fancy DAC here and would like to make use of that, ideally feeding it a good signal. But the TV's analog out may of course be OK. That's my current plan, just try one of those budget options. It's probably more for peace of mind anyway, like...
  11. JunkHippo

Because I use a DAC (not an AVR) and those tend to not have HDMI inputs. Until reading about the LG case, I wasn't even aware of poor optical implementations on TV. My old Sony was fine. I might try an audio extractor, although those tested here with good results are not readily available in...
  12. JunkHippo

Dear audio science enthusiasts, I recently got one of those popular LG C1 TVs. Since I only have a stereo system, but several HDMI sources plus using the TV's apps, I went the easiest audio route for my setup: (source) -> TV -> optical out (PCM) -> DAC -> analog Preamp As I realized only after...
  13. JunkHippo

Dirac measurement beginner questions

Thanks again for the input here! I made some new measurements. The most successful one was with first position where my head usually is, then covering all points with rather larger distances (45cm?) between them. I left out the 4 rear points that would be directly on the wall. With this...
  14. JunkHippo

New Neumann MA 1 - Automatic Monitor Alignment

You guys think they'll do a stand-alone version of the DSP, like with Genelec GLM? Basically a small box I could just put between preamp and speakers, or put into the preamp's tape loop? I'm curious to try Neumann's room correction for my KH310, but I don't want a subwoofer in my small room...
  15. JunkHippo

Wow thanks! I'll try measuring with these hints next. 1. Noise floor was actually at -50db when I set the mic gain to the maximum +20db, but I was unsure if this maximum setting might have any disadvantages. 2. I will try with less points at more "realistic" positions (not at seating cushion...
  16. JunkHippo

Hi there, I've been reading ASR for over a year now. Such a helpful page! One of the things it inspired me to is trying out room correction. I have a pair of Neumann KH310 (great speakers!), in a relatively small room (15m²) and positioned not quite symmetrical - one is closer to a wall with...
  17. JunkHippo

Easiest way to play from hard drive without PC

Hello, I'm a long term lurker on ASR thanks to the wealth of knowledge on here. It's a great site! Now I'd like to get some direct input. With the perpetual Covid lockdowns and winter, I figured this is the perfect opportunity to finally rip my collection of about 500 CDs to an external hard...
Top Bottom