• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Neumann MA 1 - Automatic Monitor Alignment

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Thank you for your response i really appreciate it !
Thats interesting, i thought maybe you could just MA1 the sub only but if not, its indeed very focused on working with only Neumann speakers (which is understandable although i guess many peoples would be interested also in the Sub Only).

The Adam S3V do have a delay on them that can be set from 1 to 5ms i wonder is its enough to time align with the subs then…

If the Sub and the Speakers Are exactly on the same plane (like the Speakers on the Sub for exemple), there would be no time alignement needed ?

I am mostly interested in the Sub Eq capabilities to at least correct what is possible on it, so if its doable with just the iPad and a profile made in REW i guess that would be better than nothing already... even if its not as easy.

The crossover of the 750dsp is fixed at 80hz ?
The Adam are supposed to go until 32hz so maybe a crossover of around 40 or 50 would be better ? (In which case an Adam sub might be more flexible, i saw the SUB 12 for exemple have a crossover range from 50 to 200hz i think… )

I see the 750dsp is quoted at 95db 1m (0.5%) do you think it would be too much of a mis match with the Adam being quoted at 124db 1m ? Although i monitor mostly at 75/85db and might go sometimes to a bit more i dont see myself ever reaching 124db! In that case is it ok if the maximum listening volume match the limit of the Subwoofer ?
Adam sub 12 is quoted at 115db 1m (under 1%) would it be better ?

Do you think for a studio where there is only 1 listening position and having the crossover cut at a lower value, 1 sub would be enough ? I always prefer 2 but it get expensive and i wonder if its necessary when There is only 1 listening position…

I am sorry for all the questions

Thank you!

I just checked, you have to select what monitors you are using:
1641318586000.png

You cannot select "None". But i don´t know what happens if you try to run the alignment without monitors connected.

I cannot answer your other questions. The KH750 is a small, closed 10 inch sub, designed for near field use. It seems to be well engineered, but does not work miracles. It is exceptionally linear up to 700 Hz, but that shouldn't matter for most applications. Another special feature is the DSP, which works best with Neumann speakers. Unless you really need the special features, I think the general consensus is that you can get more powerful (bigger) subwoofers for significantly less money.

Chromatic

I just checked, you have to select what monitors you are using:
View attachment 176685
You cannot select "None". But i don´t know what happens if you try to run the alignment without monitors connected.

I cannot answer your other questions. The KH750 is a small, closed 10 inch sub, designed for near field use. It seems to be well engineered, but does not work miracles. It is exceptionally linear up to 700 Hz, but that shouldn't matter for most applications. Another special feature is the DSP, which works best with Neumann speakers. Unless you really need the special features, I think the general consensus is that you can get more powerful (bigger) subwoofers for significantly less money.

Thank you for your Help!
I understand, its a great option for Neumann Monitors Owners i think (especially those who dont include DSP!).
It seems you cant use the microphone with the app for “Only” the subs.
To Use the capabilities of the DSP its of course better to have a full Neumann system or at least to connect the speakers to the sub regardless but my Monitors being already with DSP to correct themselves i dont feel confortable “Cascading“ Dsp on top of Dsp lol
I feel for neumann user the cost performance of adding the 750DSP is great.
For me i am not sure at the moment, like you said for the same price i can get a bigger subwoofer if anyway i will not be able to use the DSP to the fullest.
(for even a little less i can get an Adam sub 12, but its a much simpler analog design subwoofer and its ported so i dont know if its as good or not… )
ALthough there is still the possibility of manually Eq only the Sub i think with the ipad App ?

NeoZs99

Proper measurement was done today and I am pretty satisfied with the results.
View attachment 176871
At that point why even bother with dsp lol..it's spot on. Mine comes like the "rock preset" curve..and even though now the kh750 integrates very well, the corrected frequency response sounds slightly hotter in the high frequencies. On a side note how do you directly access the eq options without having to go through all the measurements?

ba7777

At that point why even bother with dsp lol..it's spot on. Mine comes like the "rock preset" curve..and even though now the kh750 integrates very well, the corrected frequency response sounds slightly hotter in the high frequencies. On a side note how do you directly access the eq options without having to go through all the measurements?
AFAIK you can not just modify the target curve then apply it to the last alignment.

Maybe one day Neumann will let the MA 1 users have the option to save and edit the result without measurement, which will save some time and trouble for preparation.

NeoZs99

AFAIK you can not just modify the target curve then apply it to the last alignment.

Maybe one day Neumann will let the MA 1 users have the option to save and edit the result without measurement, which will save some time and trouble for preparation.
A simple option that'd make everything so much better..like the default corrected curve and custom presets

JunkHippo

You guys think they'll do a stand-alone version of the DSP, like with Genelec GLM? Basically a small box I could just put between preamp and speakers, or put into the preamp's tape loop?
I'm curious to try Neumann's room correction for my KH310, but I don't want a subwoofer in my small room. Really the 310 goes deep and loud enough for me.
My feeling however is that they're really pushing the KH750 as the center of the system, and that I shouldn't hold my breath.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
You guys think they'll do a stand-alone version of the DSP, like with Genelec GLM? Basically a small box I could just put between preamp and speakers, or put into the preamp's tape loop?
I'm curious to try Neumann's room correction for my KH310, but I don't want a subwoofer in my small room. Really the 310 goes deep and loud enough for me.
My feeling however is that they're really pushing the KH750 as the center of the system, and that I shouldn't hold my breath.

I don´t know, but if they wanted to do that, they could have done before introducing the KH80 DSP and the KH750 DSP. Personally, i expect the successors of KH120, 310 and 420 (also 810 and 870) to have DSP included, whenever they may come. But i don´t know, maybe there is a market for purely analog monitors.

Habu

Personally, i expect the successors of KH120, 310 and 420 (also 810 and 870) to have DSP included,
Hi
With KH750 DSP, you are enabling DSP on KH120 and KH310 and you also have a Subwoofer.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Hi
With KH750 DSP, you are enabling DSP on KH120 and KH310 and you also have a Subwoofer.

I know, but some people might not want or need a KH750. Also, if you want to build a surround-setup, this solution does not work well yet.

Takanaka

Forum Donor
Okay so I did something dumb today, I was playing on of those 18Hz ghost frequency vids that i saw on an online article about horror movies and didn't hear much,. Turned it up a little bit and started to hear a bit of rattling, still with moderate volume luckily but I saw my KH750 put out some some very heavy excursion I haven't managed to reproduce with regular music.

So my question is if I could have possibly damaged it it or that I'm just overthinking it and the subs limiter would've kicked in if it was actually dangerous, DC protection was also on on my ADI-2 but didn't seem to kick in.

NeoZs99

Okay so I did something dumb today, I was playing on of those 18Hz ghost frequency vids that i saw on an online article about horror movies and didn't hear much,. Turned it up a little bit and started to hear a bit of rattling, still with moderate volume luckily but I saw my KH750 put out some some very heavy excursion I haven't managed to reproduce with regular music.

So my question is if I could have possibly damaged it it or that I'm just overthinking it and the subs limiter would've kicked in if it was actually dangerous, DC protection was also on on my ADI-2 but didn't seem to kick in.
It's very unlikely you've damaged your speakers

Frgirard

Major Contributor

Your kh750 have protections. Read the manual all is wrote.
I played at this game with my o300. The protection has done his job.
No worries.

mdakovic

Can someone upload me or DM me 1.2 version of software for MAC please?

I have a problem with MA 1 - Automatic Monitor Alignment 1.3.0.854 version. It keeps crashing when setting up and measuring the appropriate level for measurement process.

It's clearly a bug in software since I have old 1.1 version of software that works ok but it's missing some of the feature of new version.

Thanks!

astcal

Forum Donor
That's the exact problem I'm having.. have you tried using pc again?
I'm using windows 10 with a motu m4
I just downloaded the latest MA 1 version 1.3 today, Feb 26, 2022. On my Win10 initially it could only find one KH80. I tried to power off/on all the them and then it works fine. I am able to successfully calibrate. I really like the new features that can change the KH 80 LED brightness and overall gain/volume control in the new MA 1 version 1.3.

astcal

Forum Donor
Can someone upload me or DM me 1.2 version of software for MAC please?

I have a problem with MA 1 - Automatic Monitor Alignment 1.3.0.854 version. It keeps crashing when setting up and measuring the appropriate level for measurement process.

It's clearly a bug in software since I have old 1.1 version of software that works ok but it's missing some of the feature of new version.

Thanks!

That sucks! the new version 1.3 added nice new features such as KH80 LED brightness control and gain/volume settings. I'd encourage you contact Neumann to get if resolved. If nothing works and you have to go back to version 1.2, Neumann should be able to provide you. I still have the old version 1.1 and 1.2 on my Mac.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor

Version 1.4 is out.
Great news! This looks like a significant improvement in usability. I will try it out this weekend.

1646311760578.png

badboygolf16v

Forum Donor
This looks good. I'm tempted to wait until you've given it a try, based on past experience...

Top Bottom