Search results

1. S

Ohm Walsh Speakers

‘Millerized’ Ohm F’s are sounding fine! I believe the A, F and G are the only true Walsh drivers, along with some Walsh tweeters used by Infinity.
  2. S

Ohm Walsh Speakers

Thought I’d resurrect this thread with some of my experiences. I bought a pair of F’s in 76 and blew them up multiple times. Took the Ohm Walsh IV option and said goodbye to the F’s. Fast forward to 2012 and I found a pristine pair of F’s and had them refurbished by Millersound in PA. Bill...
  3. S

The sound of magnetic tapes: comparing musical samples from digital versions and magnetic tapes Review

Thanks for running this experiment. The one thing that really stands out is the large amount of modulation noise centered around the 1 kHz test tone. This signal dependent noise definitely contributes to the ‘sound’ of analog tape. We have gotten so used to it listening to recordings mastered on...
  4. S

Ken Fritz - Audiophile Documentary

Great post. There is a cautionary tale here for all of us. What happens to our stuff when we pass on from this mortal coil? We owe it to our families to make sure they don’t have to auction all our gear at 10 cents on the dollar or less. Not so much here but on audio other forums there seems...
  5. S

Wilson Alexia V - 2023 Stereophile Speaker of the Year ???

This has been my experience. I don’t need hours and hours for my ears to get accustomed to a new speaker. I can tell right away if it’s a contender and worth an extended listen. I’d never buy an expensive speaker without auditioning first. I can then correlate the measurements with what I’m...
  6. S

Wilson Alexia V - 2023 Stereophile Speaker of the Year ???

Three pages into a thread and nobody has listened to these speakers. That’s understandable because they are hard to find in the wild and they are expensive. I was in Manhattan a few weeks ago and made an appointment at Innovative Audio for a listen. I met Chris and spent about 30 minutes...
  7. S

Isn't it great that people can have world class sound quality for so little money!

Here is an interesting transducer that claims to operate in 3D space.
  8. S

Isn't it great that people can have world class sound quality for so little money!

If you are well heeled some audio equipment has never been more expensive! Wilson XVX, D’Augustino electronics, dCS, etc. Audio wallet-lightening has never been easier!
  9. S

These are truly the ‘good old days’ of HiFi. I get (almost) all the world’s music delivered to my home in high quality formats for $15 a month. The cost of truly high fidelity reproduction equipment has decreased dramatically through innovative design and direct-to-consumer global supply...
  10. S

What SHOULD An HT Center Channel Speaker Sound Like?

No direct experience but similar experience with a timbre matched center. So, first, I feel your pain. These center speakers seem to be priced in a predatory manner. I have Amati Futura mains and ended up buying their Amati Vox center. Similar configuration to the Revel with a vertically...
  11. S

No point. I think center channel speakers should be 3 way designs with a vertically oriented tweeter-midrange and larger 6” to 8” mid-woofers for decent LF power handling. That and timbre-matched to the mains. If not the same brand then at least similar drivers. Or even better the same speaker...
  12. S

There are a lot of reasons dialog can be problematic. Horizontal OoO (MTM) speakers are an abomination and have major issues off-axis. Use center channel loudspeakers with the tweeter and midrange on the same vertical plane to get a decent power response. Close in reflections from...
  13. S

What is your stance on Chinese brand Hi-fi equipment

I put a limit in place of manufacture for all my audio gear. It has to be made on this planet. No exceptions. No gas amplifiers form Jupiter in my system! Couple of thing that may merit discussion. Are you willing to continue to support the classic audio distribution chain: Manufacturer —>...
  14. S

Back to basics. Definition: Analogue audio

The simplest definition I can think of: Analog audio is continuous over time and amplitude. Digital audio is both sampled and quantized, so no longer continuous with respect to time and amplitude. Test one: Is a sampled signal analog? No, it is not continuous over time. Test two: Is a...
  15. S

Do stereo integrated amps convert analog to digital - > analog again?

Many older pre/pros and receivers (think Dolby Digital era) had analog bass management and sub outs. You’ll have to research whatever it is you are considering to get the real scoop on how signals are processed internally.
  16. S

Let's talk about skiing & snowboarding!

Last month backcountry skiing on a hut-to-hut trip in the Selkirks.
  17. S

What is it about McIntosh?

That’s it. Output of the + amplifier (and it’s output impedance, noise, etc) in series with the speaker load, in series with the output of the (-) amplifier. No ground reference. For a given speaker load impedance, double the voltage, 4x the power, double the noise, and double the output...
  18. S

Here is another way of looking at it. You have two separate and complete amplifiers, one operates in phase with the input signal, the other operates 180 degrees out of phase with the input signal. Both amplifiers are fully balanced as well. The load is connected to the output of each amplifier...
  19. S

In a conventional dual differential design, the outputs of both amplifiers are in series, which doubles the voltage swing and output impedance. In this case the noise components are also in series and so increase 3 dB along with the signal. Most of these amps can drive 4 ohm loads but struggle...
  20. S

Emulate sound signature of McIntosh amp using a Topping PA5

This has been done before, many years ago, by Bob Carver and the folks at Stereophile. It’s an interesting challenge. Bob was able to mod one of his amps to duplicate the performance of Stereophile’s ‘reference’ amplifier. The uncontrolled subjective listening tests used by Stereophile will...
Top Bottom