Search results

1. olegtern

Have Slim Floorstanding Speakers "Had Their Day?"

"What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself but what has drawn your attention in the streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums" - Siegfried Linkwitz
  2. olegtern

I've noticed that it takes extra time to adjust in other people's rooms. Even if they have the same or very similar speakers. Which I think makes it difficult to evaluate the experience at shows where you have to move through so many rooms with so many different systems. But of course, if the...
  3. olegtern

Regarding the "disappearing act", are we talking about sound only or a mix of audio-visual experiences? In the sense that very often what we see affects what (how?) we hear, and this can apply to thin speakers — it's easier for them to get visually lost in a room. For the last few years, I had...
  4. olegtern

How NOT to set up speakers and room treatment ( Goldensound)

Are you and your brain two different things? :) No, that's not how it works. The brain does a lot of things in the background, and all of these contribute to fatigue because energy is redistributed between different areas of the brain (well known since early studies of the electrical activity...
  5. olegtern

The last apartment my wife and I rented about 5 years ago had a pretty bright room with lots of reflective surfaces. I managed to get a decent sound with a constant directivity horn + dipole in the middle frequencies + subwoofers + equalization. The stereo triangle was about 2.5 meters (I don't...
  6. olegtern

Unusual Speaker Designs

Wolf von Langa Swing:
  7. olegtern

I can't catch it. If most people prefer something (and this is confirmed by a meta-analysis of double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trials with a huge sample), does that "something" become, like, a law of physics? Or at least a legal law? :) I thought it was good data for the marketing...
  8. olegtern

What's Left In Speaker Design To Reduce Distortion/Increase Detail Retrieval?

When it comes to delivering the finest details of sound, in-ear headphones for little money provide accuracy that a lot of high-end systems for a million wouldn't dream of. Why? I think of low distortion, absence of room and absence of acoustical crosstalk, which is an inherent defect in...
  9. olegtern

Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 questions

This is probably true. I have no exact data. I will not mention non-blind comparisons with other DACs :) But a few arguments. Amir measured the 3400 and with a similar architecture, there are measurable problems with the line outputs (which does not mean that it is really audible problems...
  10. olegtern

Sorry, didn't mean to throw you off balance. After all, this is not a Lyngdorf support, different opinions are expressed here because everyone can't wait to have a conversation :) I just wanted to inspire you to test the amplifier directly, in case it hasn't happened yet. Peace.
  11. olegtern

Sorry, I do not know the exact answer to your question (it seems to me that the main thing is that the volume control range is within comfortable limits and there is no distortion), but given the rather mediocre DAC on the 1120 "subwoofer" line outputs, I would recommend trying the amplifier in...
  12. olegtern

How loud do you like your music?

Can I ask for a photo of your system?
  13. olegtern

$30K Budget - On the quest for my "end game" speaker

THD at 96db not great. What if you want 90db not in 1, but in 4-5 meters, even sometimes? What if 100?
  14. olegtern

300-20k drivers use EQ anyway, they have a constant directivity — there is no difficulty in adjusting them. This is generally an ideal scenario for equalization, one driver with a constant directivity from the Schroeder frequency to the top. It is well-designed by default.
  15. olegtern

Even if Klipsch set up an excess of HF, that's definitely not a problem, this horn is perfect for equalization.
  16. olegtern

Correct horn size! :) This is definitely a contender for the endgame!
  17. olegtern

And according to this logic, tiny bookshelf 86db-noise-generators should be named the most dynamic? By whom?
  18. olegtern

I just remembered an example about one specific property - the perception of dynamics, there have been some discussions about it on the previous pages, e.g.: I have no evidence, only listening experience. :) My point is that speakers with high sensitivity and headroom, which is typical for...
  19. olegtern

Impressions from 4349 review: Amir compared 4349 with Salon 2 at home. He didn't have good expectations for the 4349 because of the poor measurements. But he was hooked anyway by 4349 dynamic abilities. And 4349 is just the younger sibling of JBL's horn speakers family. This is not another...
Top Bottom