Search results

1. R

$30K Budget - On the quest for my "end game" speaker

When you mention '100dB at 4m' - does all this assume that the different types of distortion are practically identical to when one is playing music at, say, 65dB at 4m? Or, is this where the difference between 'well measuring' smaller speakers vs similarly measuring larger speakers would lie?
  2. R

$30K Budget - On the quest for my "end game" speaker

So, in the myriad array of measurements being mentioned by several members, which one(s) address this issue (of these speakers sounding inadequate for large rooms)? As, it seems, a lot of members seem to suggest to go by almost measurements alone - so, I'm sure there's a number that we can point...
  3. R

Denon AVR-X3700H AVR Review

Using the X3700H as analog-only for audio: If I feed the output of a decent DAC (I have the Chord Qutest at home) to feed the X3700H (via RCA interconnects) and then out from there to a ‘very clean’ power amp (I have the McIntosh MC402 which has a quad differential design to minimize noise), is...
  4. R

Review and Measurements of CHORD Qutest DAC

I guess you still did not read what we were trying to do. We were not evaluating preference. We were testing to see whether one DAC could be identified to sound different from another in a DBT irrespective of preference. Not only did ALL the testers identify it, their comments were consistent...
  5. R

And you concluded this from our DBT? If not, then how did you conclude? I was not one of those testers.
  6. R

Why? Did you read what we were trying to achieve? We maintained same SPL levels. I propose that if we changed the test a bit the 2nd time around and now changed SPL levels by large amounts (1-3dB), the testers would still be consistent in the characteristics attributed to ‘DAC A’ and ‘DAC B’...
  7. R

Agreed. And they did detect the difference correctly each time.
  8. R

We did calibrate the volume for each track for each dac using a SPL meter…
  9. R

Given that we were not asking the testers which DAC they preferred, I think our using a SPL-meter was sufficient.
  10. R

Not all at the same time! They were friends who had no idea that they would be tested.
  11. R

We did not do it by voltage. My friend brought his SPL meter. We then calibrated the volume levels required for each track for each DAC BEFORE the audience / testers arrived. We did not ask them which they preferred but could they guess which was ‘DAC A’ & exactly how does it sound different...
  12. R

No video. Latency of both DACs was dominated by the greater latency of the filters I was using in HQPlayer (Sinc-L with LNS15 noise shaper).
  13. R

Re: filters, that is why we used HQPlayer (PCM upsampled to 705.6 KHz / 768 KHz) as at this upsampling level, original filters of both DACs are bypassed (according to both RME and Chord). Also: coincidentally, the ‘recommended settings’ in HQPlayer for both DACs are identical (based on what the...
  14. R

I did. I own both DACs (RME for 6 months and the Chord for a month). We conducted DBTs for 15 people over the past two weeks. Speakers: Focal Sopra 3, Amp: McIntosh MC402. No preamp (volume changed digitally on Roon / HQPlayer). We did select the tracks, though and played the same track on...
  15. R

I was not asking for opinion on how good the DACs are, but thanks. :) My question is: based on measurements of both DACs published here on ASR, should I expect to hear a difference between them and if so, what? Or do the measurements indicate that one would fail in a DBT to identify the DACs...
  16. R

So, if I'm in the market to buy a DAC and was looking at the Qutest vs the RME ADI-2 DAC FS (Ver 2): according to the measurements of both DACs, would they basically sound the same?
  17. R

Measurements and Review of SOtM SMS-200 Network Player

I have spent a few days comparing the following: NUC playing Roon —> M1 Mac Mini (with HQPlayer desktop) —> basic Audioquest Evergreen cable —> RME ADI-2 DAC FS (version 2) [NUC and M1 Mac Mini are connected to gigabit network using CAT6 cables] NUC playing Roon —> M1 Mac Mini (with HQPlayer...
  18. R

Hardware Review and Measurements of Sonore microRendu v1.4

I don’t own the microRendu but I do own a ultraRendu powered by a LPS. Paired with the ADI-2 DAC FS (version 2). Running as NAA for HQPlayer (backend) with Roon as frontend. Have also tried the SoTM SMS-200 Ultra. Don’t want to pollute this thread: is there a existing thread on the efficacy and...
  19. R

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

My wife helped my kids and I conduct a DBT (the equipment rack is in the room next to the listening room). Using HQP in this manner vs no HQP. We picked HQP method to provide the better sound quality each time. Forgot to mention in the prior post: one has to enable DSD Direct mode in the ADI-2...
  20. R

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

After 6 months of experimenting with this DAC, I achieved the best SQ in the following manner by using HQPlayer: Convert PCM to DSD256 using the ASDM7EC modulator and poly-sinc-ext2 filter. If your computer cannot handle that (I use a M1 Mac Mini, BTW), try PCM —> DSD256 using ASDM7 and...
Top Bottom