Search results

1. Colonel Bogey

Why aren't there any "active" headphones with DSP based EQ?

Why doesn't anyone manufacture headphones with a powered digital input (USB?) and carrying a DSP based EQ to produce a Harman AE/OE 2018 target frequency response? Such a design would also make it easy to include really useful "loudness" function. Too heavy? Warm? Expensive? No market? I'd...
  2. Colonel Bogey

JBL confusion - is it me or them?

Is it just me or is it actually difficult to understand how the different JBL product lines and web sites relate to each other? Also, is the 80-ties style in both products and marketing material a very deliberate marketing approach or are they just a bit out of touch? I have known about (and...
  3. Colonel Bogey

3.5mm TRRL headphone jack? Why separate L- and R-

The Teac 3.5mm headphone output is a bit strange. The manual states that its a 4-pole L+ R+ L- R- (counting from the tip) What does this mean? Is the output balanced? A regular 3.5mm headphone will just short the L- R- part... But then, why have separate grounding? Confused....
  4. Colonel Bogey

How do the small speaker manufacturers measure during development?

I am a bit surprised by the high number of small, independent high-end speaker manufacturers that manage to run a sustainable business. Since (I suppose) the development process for a high-end speaker requires many iterations using reasonably sophisticated gear and people that know how to use...
  5. Colonel Bogey

Principles for speaker placement in "hopeless" rooms?

Hi, need some help to think things over. I'm stuck with a hopeless 500-ish sq feet library/sitting room/study. It's L-shaped (almost U-shaped), has large windows, lots of doors, a copuple of tables, most walls are covered with bookshelves (good, I guess) and it also sports a hardwood floor with...
  6. Colonel Bogey

Could an "evidence based" HiFi retailer ever be commercially viable?

In my country, I know of about 10 different small retailers and one chain w several stores carrying mid/high end HiFi. These all combine physical stores with online sales. Sadly, all of them seem to market various "snake oil" products like cable lifters etc and make preposterous claims about...
  7. Colonel Bogey

How do I know if I can use DX7 Pro as a preamp for HPA-S400ET

Hi experts! I usually use an active speaker system but for our second home I need to get a general, high output and cost-efficient DAC/Headphone amp/Power amp combo. Can't be very specific about speakers, I would like it to be able to manage anything from vintage Spendors and contemporary B&W...
Top Bottom