Search results

1. P

Lossless file conversion question

Thanks for the replies. As ever everything can be much more complicated than you think, when you get into the details. Abdo123, I don't follow your question. I asked a question and people responded with information that I didn't know. I didn't have the answer to my question in advance. For...
  2. P

Lossless file conversion question

I've been reading the current MQA thread and I am having some trouble understanding how any argument can be logically formed that something is identical to the original when it clearly is not. I didn't want to be seen as derailing or being off-topic, so I have posted my reality-check question...
  3. P

If you have a fairly decent in room response is DRC worthwhile?

Thanks, always good to see what others experience is. I have room measurements somewhere but can't find them right now. I used Audio Tools and a Dayton EMM6 mic.
  4. P

It's pretty solid and I've had to trim the bass down a little on the tone controls to control it. My house was built in the 60s and believe it or not the internal walls are made from compressed straw coated in gypsum. Amazingly it doesn't support combustion very well.
  5. P

Fairly new here. Easy, inexpensive 'tube' sound addition?

This might sound a bit of a strange idea but have you tried moving the speakers closer together and toeing then out? I can't say it's technically correct but sometimes it seems to work.
  6. P

I have a reasonably decent in room response and while it's not too line studio quality it is pretty good with no obvious peaks or suck outs. Is there a point where DRC may not be worthwhile? I'm guessing that DRC can only do so much to overcome the room acoustics.
  7. P

What measures for "dynamic contrast or resolution" a.k.a. PRaT?

I believe that the whole PRaT thing with Naim was attributed to the use of regulated power supplies in the amplifiers. I don’t know if they still use regulated supplies or whether they had any real effect on the sound. I’m guessing that tests with some sort of instantaneous or impulse signal...
  8. P

What to trust ear or measurement?

I think this is a good point. Sometimes discrete arguments do become amalgamated and comments made often become more general and not necessarily aimed at specific points made made in a thread of conversation. I have met many an audiophile who has raved about 300b amplifiers and how they portray...
  9. P

A response to "Grinding your own gears" by John H. Darko

One thing that I don’t get with using Kiis for reviewing the differences with re-clockers and USB cables is that the Kiis use a huge amount of DSP and therefore there will be some serious re-clocking of data by the speaker. I just don’t see how additional re-clocking before the speaker can make...
  10. P

You’ve touched on one of my bug bears. While I consider it normal to only listen to music that you like I have encountered many audiophiles who only listen to music that sounds good on their system. I was at a show once talking to a guy exhibiting in a room and when the room next door started...
  11. P

There is a difference between the affect, atmosphere, excitement - call it what you will - of what the sound produced in that moment and what was recorded and can be play back. Often what people are looking to do is to “get closer” to the moment that may of existed at the time or one that they...
  12. P

Hello. Is this the room for the argument?
  13. P

Do Audio Speakers Break-in?

This is why I mentioned ferrofluid in tweeters a few posts back. Providing that the speakers are not damaged the only likely measurable change will be due to issues with the ferrofluid. You’ll often see ebay listings for speakers stating that a tweeter has blown. More likely the ferrofluid has...
  14. P

Do Audio Speakers Break-in?

With moving parts you would expect there to be some fettling or fatigue particularly with the surround but I have heard that while measurable it’s not enough to make a noticeable difference. What I do wonder about is the ferrofluid in tweeters. I have had issues with tweeters 7 or more years...
  15. P

Speaker De-coupling

Have you tried moving the speakers to a different location to see if they still resonate? They don't have to be moved to a final position, just moved for testing. You may just have an unlucky placement issue.
  16. P

Good quality RCA > XLR cables

DIY is an option and it is quite easy to make working cables. However, it’s not so easy to make durable cables, if you don’t have much soldering experience.
  17. P

Does the marketing here sound familiar.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52810220?fbclid=IwAR0Pa3Ra5ihLur-pzBuT3aKETs7GSeucthgztUPhaUpcxj9QiGglwlgAuEs&__twitter_impression=true People are buying these things and report that they feel the benefits. It’s impossible not to see the parallels.
  18. P

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?

That’s really one of my points. Not everything that’s billed as hifi is actually high fidelity and sometimes that not what everyone wants all the time anyway. In this arena this is where the differences can be heard and this is often the hook.
  19. P

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?

Speaking as a bit of an audiophile what I am more interested in is the emotive aspects to listening to music. Transparent electronics and technically good room/speaker response doesn’t necessarily get you that. I used to own a pair of very well performing active monitors and spent a lot of time...
  20. P

If "Tube Sound" Is a Myth, Why Tubes?

Myself, I’ve struggled to reliably hear differences between well designed amplifiers. I used to have a KT88 PP amplifier a when I compared it to a DIY SS class A/B amp I couldn’t tell the difference. I sold the KT88 amplifier on as I didn’t see the point of the extra expense in usage. However...
Top Bottom