Search results

1. 2

Schiit Gjallarhorn objective review

For a given use case, preferences, etc I’d suggest having a listen before passing judgement. I one fed with a Schiit Lyr in low gain through 90 dB Spatial M4 Sapphires in a treated 11’x14’ space and couldn’t be happier. But I prefer to listen at low SPL, upper 70s low 80s peak.
  2. 2

Premium Audio Mini GaN 5 Review (Stereo Amplifier)

It seems basic, but I’m confused by the frequency response plot. Amir states “What is not reasonable is high dependence on speaker load when it comes to frequency response:” He specifically mentions 4 ohm being down 1.7 @ 20k. Do the results also indicate 8 ohm is up 1 @ 20k and both begin to...
  3. 2

Revel M105 vs M106 -- how to interpret measurements?

The only way to know for sure is to listen. In my month w/ the 105s they were 5’ apart and the sweet spot listening distance was 5-6 feet.
  4. 2

I heard a pair of M106 at a dealer but auditioned the M105. The M106 didn't call attention to itself for the few minutes I listened nor did the M105 over an extended period of time. I think it helps to sit with them for a while to appreciate that they do get out of the way, as I suspect any...
  5. 2

I spent quite a bit of time demoing the M105. SQ was not an issue. They are, and sounded neutral. Up to a point, I’m not sure the size of the room would matter as much as the distance to the listening position. I had them set up 5 feet apart at one end of the long wall in a 12 x 20 room...
  6. 2

Quality Perception: ID vs Name Brand

I’ve since been spending some quality time with a pair of piano black Evoke 10. I’ll post impressions as they relate to available data but will say the build quality is superior to the M105 and SQ is very good for what it is. I’m waiting on the epiphany some professional reviewers experienced...
  7. 2

What is lost in HF roll off?

An idea to play with. Thank you.
  8. 2

What is lost in HF roll off?

Assuming for the sake of argument the accuracy of this chart, and leaving aside the room, what would this mean for speakers that roll off significantly below 10k? Edit: curious. I linked to the chart and see it in the preview. Hopefully the attached shows.
  9. 2

That is definitely among the reasons for considering the Revel or something comparable. Though they sound good I have to reconcile some ill feelings I have for Revel quality, but that’s me whining.
  10. 2

I allowed several things to bias my opinion of the Evoke 10 before ever actually hearing them so I'm not sure my opinion is worth much. The reason I'd consider revisiting is to give it the fair shot it didn't get the first time. So, if you want to know the truth and save yourself some time I...
  11. 2

Very interesting. I do appreciate this perspective to help understand your bias against ribbons. I'm coming to understand the many material choices and variety of driver options have their place in people's preferences and listening environments.
  12. 2

As described above I am also wondering if the crossover is affecting what I'm hearing. Fascinating stuff. I rarely run with grills off and actually like the M105 appearance. Revel WAF is actually much higher but that's mainly because she prefers black to coordinate with everything else and...
  13. 2

Way back when below is how I described the SQ difference. Other than the furniture and clutter typical of a multi-use space, the room is an untreated, asymmetric mess. I do think the room - perhaps first reflections? - is affecting what I'm hearing but equipment and source are the same. The...
  14. 2

The basic question was whether my perception of overall quality between Revel and Ascend products was consistent with others actual experience. Overall quality included SQ. My time with the 2 gives a slight SQ advantage to Revel but other factors are also important in any decision, which I’ll...
  15. 2

Tell me more. Excellent idea, even at the risk of asking questions whose answers I can’t really afford.
  16. 2

I’m not changing. I’m keeping the BMR and looking for new speakers for a second system. I’m relatively inexperienced at this but read recently the limited vertical dispersion can be a good thing. When actively listening I’m typically in the listening window so not too concerned about vertical...
  17. 2

Thank you. This conversation got me thinking about other 2 way designs incorporating RAAL ribbons and whether or not there are any general criticisms of these 2 way configurations. Salk came to mind because of the association with Philharmonic so I did find the Supercharged Song. I didn't...
  18. 2

I guess a bit of an explanation might have helped. I replaced the HT setup a couple of years ago with the BMR and a NAD T758. Some of the old stuff took on new duties as a 2.1 ch setup serving one end of a 14' x 20' office/spare bedroom. I'm now replacing the old HT cast offs with a more...
  19. 2

Many thanks for all your thoughts. This pretty well sums it up. Taking into account all the comments, this validates what I've been thinking but it helps to hear it coming from experience. Perhaps I'm not missing as much as I thought. Turtle Paul, the Sierra-2 measurements are the previous...
Top Bottom