Search results

1. amira

SMSL DO300 DAC Review

I'm terribly sorry. I will try to be better next time.
  2. amira

Ascend Acoustics Announces New Klippel NFS-Optimized Sierra Towers and Horizon Center

It's really strange to see a company taking into account things like research and developmental costs when pricing it's products. I don't understand why more companies don't just try to barely break even, or maybe even lose a little money. They could just cut salaries and have less money to...
  3. amira

Audioquest Niagara 1200 Review (Power Conditioner/Surge Protector)

Here's the Furman SMP board that Garth Powell also designed and is the basis of his AQ surge protection. Both MOVs are completely unprotected by the series mode circuit. The 1st MOV is also before the over-voltage relay and has no thermal protection. So it's completely unprotected and not...
  4. amira

It's probably a little bit better, looks like he added a couple more small inductors.
  5. amira

It uses the same hybrid MOV and series inductor as Furman's SMP (same designer). The over-voltage relay circuit is a really nice feature. But, it's basically a small inductor with 2 little MOVs. SurgeX/Zerosurge with their massive inductor and additional capacitors would still provide better...
  6. amira

Does Phase Distortion/Shift Matter in Audio? (no*)

Yea, I don't like Amir either.
  7. amira

Spirits, what you drinking...

Decided to break out the good stuff today!
  8. amira

Surge protector recommendations?

You might want to read up a little more. The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers is not in the business of recommending snake oil: "One of the main functions of the service entrance SPD is to reduce the surge current reaching any downstream protectors (see requirement 2 under...
  9. amira

AudioQuest PowerQuest 3 Video Review (AC Filter/Surge Protector)

There's really no question about it, ZeroSurge's founder filed patents 4,870,528 & 4,870,534 for "Series Mode" protection in 1988. Those patents are now expired and the second version of series mode protection (wide voltage range) is based on patent 6,728,089 from 2004 and 7,068,487 from 2006...
  10. amira

Do I need a high quality streamer for Airplay?

7.8.1 firmware on the Airport Express causes distortion at the beginning of the audio for me. Googling around and it's a pretty common problem. Downgrading the firmware fixes it. I need Airplay 2 for multiroom audio, still looking for a good streamer that's not >$500.
  11. amira

Vanatoo Transparent Zero Speaker Review

Does the bluetooth still broadcast as available to join even when it's using another input? That was really annoying in an office or apartment and there wasn't anyone way to turn it off.
  12. amira

Marantz Model 30

Yea too many edges and it looks busy. I like a cleaner more industrial look.
  13. amira

Ascend Acoustics Horizon Center Speaker Review

As an owner of Ascend towers and the Horizon, this review has answered a very important question for me. During several movies at louder volumes, I noticed that certain male voices yelling (like the Rock) would sound harsh. I measured the frequencies with REW and it was a spike in the...
  14. amira

Monoprice HTP-1 Home Theater Processor Review

Not even close to the transition from flip to touchscreen phones. OSD on a TV is such a basic feature it would be more aptly compared to seeing the volume level on your phone when you press the volume button, instead of having to open the settings and then click "Speaker". Taking away the...
  15. amira

Monoprice HTP-1 Home Theater Processor Review

It's not just about setup and configuration, it's about seeing the volume or stream and config info without needing to look at a phone/tablet/computer during a movie. Storm Audio is adding back an OSD with their new card and Trinnov is supposedly going to use the same chip and vendor. Couple...
  16. amira

AudioQuest PowerQuest 3 Power Conditioner & Surge Protector Review

Not to tangent this thread too far, this is from the IEEE guide for surge protection: "One of the main functions of the service entrance SPD is to reduce the surge current reaching any downstream protectors (see requirement 2 under Section “2.2 Surge Protective Device Ratings” on page 15 of...
  17. amira

I followed the instruction recommendations and kept the wires <12" with several twists. So I should be getting the specified VPR of 600V. The panel is also right next to to the grounding rod. Personally, I wouldn't ever put a device jam packed with MOVs inside any enclosure with things like...
  18. amira

I don't see it as an either-or proposition. As with most things safety or security related, layers are better than depending on a single device or method for safety or protection. I'm really glad they were added to the NEC. I installed an Eaton whole home surge protector at my panel 7 years ago...
Top Bottom