Search results

1. restorer-john

Can a faulty amplifier blow a tweeter or a woofer just by being turned on?

It's unlikely but quite possible. Tweeters are hard to kill with normal music or even loud music. But HF oscillation can destroy a tweeter in a second or less. You've had a run of bad luck, but there's too many variables to say with certainty what is going on as you've replaced several items in...
  2. restorer-john

How About Creating a Modern Cassette Player?

Yeah, it's hilarious. Here's a Pioneer CT-91a mech. We have diecast alloys, cast and pressed steel, plastic, nylon, ceramics, spring steel, many precision machined (to sub microns) polished shafts and bearings, 3-4 motors (servo), solenoids, optical encoders and heads that cost upwards of $200...
  3. restorer-john

Can a faulty amplifier blow a tweeter or a woofer just by being turned on?

DC will not blow tweeters. Ultrasonic oscillation will blow tweeters and you won't hear a thing. Get the amplifier checked by a professional before you attach any more speakers to it.
  4. restorer-john

Help Shape Our Upcoming CD Player for 2024

Some Sony and Pioneers back in the day had programmable fade in/outs, but they were in 1 second increments for tape dubbing. I agree, a nice rapid fade is nice when jumping tracks.
  5. restorer-john

How About Creating a Modern Cassette Player?

The entire premise is nothing more than clickbait from Fosi. People really have no comprehension of the development and manufacturing costs for high quality miniaturised cassette deck mechanisms and heads. They would burn their entire R&D budget for the next decade before they got past the...
  6. restorer-john

Help Shape Our Upcoming CD Player for 2024

CD player digital processor ICs have been doing fade up/down for well over 30 years, but it is much faster. Done to prevent nasty transients.
  7. restorer-john

Which deceased musicians you miss the most and wish were still alive?

Saw this article today. https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/25/arts/music/michael-cuscuna-dead.html
  8. restorer-john

Is there a way I can ACCURATELY measure how loud my music is, to protect my hearing, WITHOUT needing to buy expensive test equipment?

What? Can't hear you. I realised after typing, but figured... ;) A bit like those clown kids on the train/bus/plane with their headphones so loud other passengers can hear it super clearly.
  9. restorer-john

Is there a way I can ACCURATELY measure how loud my music is, to protect my hearing, WITHOUT needing to buy expensive test equipment?

Ask your neighbours if they can hear your music. If the answer is no, it's not loud enough.
  10. restorer-john

New phono cart needed

The AT is a great recommendation, although it costs more than the entire SL-D2 complete with cartridge back in the day.
  11. restorer-john

Smart Plugs

The ones I have and installed for my father (90yo) at his house, work from upstairs to downstairs, through a normal timber construction house. He can shut off all 4 power points in his HiFi room without having to bend down and reach behind/under racks/cabinets etc. The only time they don't work...
  12. restorer-john

Smart Plugs

All these complicated ways to turn on/off a coffee maker. :facepalm: Just get a few 433MHz plug switches and a remote. These (AU plugs here) are awesome and cheap. I have them for the router/network hardware to save crawling behind and under stuff to shutdown when storms come.
  13. restorer-john

Does Phase Distortion/Shift Matter in Audio? (no*)

Yamaha engineers achieved this in the early-mid 80s. (DSP-1 release 1985). I used to have a lot of information from Yamaha on the array and data capture technology, but it's gone now (somewhere in my storage). All I can find now is a picture of one of the later 4 microphone arrays used for...
  14. restorer-john

Working too hard can give you a Heart Attack Ack Ack Ack Ack Ack... My Heart Attack Story.

Do exactly what the medical professionals tell you to do. We all want you to have a great recovery and a healthy life. It was only yesterday I was reading news on the human trials of this: https://createdigital.org.au/long-term-artificial-heart-implantation/ https://bivacor.com/ A very cool...
  15. restorer-john

Wiring Speakon and Banana plugs

The smaller non-insulated ferrules often/mostly have a flared end for easy wire insertion. The insulated ones guide the stranded wire in, due to their molded flare.
  16. restorer-john

Wiring Speakon and Banana plugs

Get into ferrules. Seriously, once you've terminated with them, there's no looking back... :) ask @jhaider He's a ferrule Jedi I believe.
  17. restorer-john

Mofi StudioPhono Stage Review

Shoot me a PM. I've got centre-off miniature DPDT toggles and several AT91 bodies. The case, PCB, RCAs, earth term. and the MC R and L components are all I'd need to keep it the same as yours.
  18. restorer-john

Oh that's beautiful! I want one! I've got a pile of AT91 bodies without plastic mounts/unscrewed too, mainly pulled from cheap moulded headshell TTs. Very consistent coil to coil values in those older Japanese ATs. Is it something you'd consider making a few of for sale/kit?
  19. restorer-john

Michael, out of interest, what is your preferred setup for testing an MM front end? An attached M44/55 type cart and the analyzer generator? We are getting a better than typical implementation by driving the stages with a low source impedance (gen) that has no reactive component otherwise. What...
  20. restorer-john

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Measurement Update

I'd never heard of it either.
Top Bottom