Search results

1. dshreter

Furutech NCF Clear Line Review (AC Optimizer)

A furu is short for “fake guru.” Pretty poor yet appropriate name to choose for this company.
  2. dshreter

Tech Reviewer: Do Bad Reviews Kill Companies?

Reality is somewhere in between. Bad companies kill themselves, but fair reviews can also play a a role in killing decent products. Reviews with high exposure have the ability to shape perceptions much like marketing, and influence what people think is important about a product. Reviews can...
  3. dshreter

Neumann KH120 II Monitor Review

That's fine that you prefer aluminum, you should vote with your dollars. But to say aluminum is more durable than plastic is inaccurate. Frequent travelers would be very familiar with how dented that Rimowa aluminum bags get in comparison to the polycarbonate versions. Various materials all...
  4. dshreter

BACCH4Mac "Absolute Sounds Product of the Year 2024"

I very much agree. While I do understand why one might want to listen to something as close as possible to what the artists had intended, if that is at all in conflict with what I enjoy hearing, I’m going with what I enjoy. As an analogy, a restaurant might include mayonnaise on their...
  5. dshreter

Revel F206 Tower Speaker Review

THD <100Hz may not matter if you add a sub and cross over above that frequency.
  6. dshreter

I've read a lot on this forum, including contributions from Toole, but I'm not familiar with where it is stated that near field speakers have more crosstalk than far field speakers. If you have a pointer to this discussion or writings so I can read up it would be appreciated.
  7. dshreter

Headphones have no crosstalk, near field has more crosstalk, far field has the most. The closer a pair of speakers gets, the more it begins to approximate headphone listening. For a given pair of speakers, the SPL gradient from one ear to the next should be steeper at short distances than long...
  8. dshreter

Accuracy is not a yes/no matter, there’s more or less accurate. And steps are taken in a studio environments that reduce crosstalk, such as listening near field. That it isn’t done algorithmically to me isn’t necessarily important. If you want to make such a concrete statement then you need to...
  9. dshreter

That could be true but is not necessarily true. It depends on what the comparison points are and how you define accuracy. To take an example: A: An untreated highly reflective domestic listening environment without BACCH, vs highly treated mixing environment with near field speakers. B: An...
  10. dshreter

This whole discussion of artist’s or audio engineer’s intent seems besides the point. Except for audio engineers, I don’t get the impression that many even try to setup their stereo and listening environment to be similar to a mixing and mastering environment. Home listening is setup for...
  11. dshreter

It doesn't make sense to swear by blind studies and how to design a speaker for preference, then reject a certain approach without regard for whether people like the way it sounds. Assuming we are talking about listening for enjoyment, it doesn't really matter if the sound is more accurate...
  12. dshreter

KEF Blade 2 Meta review by Erin's Audio Corner

The speaker has controlled directivity to 200 Hz where the wavelength of sound is nearly 2m. So it’s not a fair point to say it has no pattern control from the midrange down.
  13. dshreter

KEF Blade 2 Meta review by Erin's Audio Corner

Are we looking at the same measurements? It's not a very good look for a manufacturer to be trolling like this.
  14. dshreter

Ascend Sierra-1 V2 Speaker Review

That's true... but that feature adds cost, and makes the product less appealing for the masses that don't hear the difference because there is none.
  15. dshreter

Maybe Amir should review movie theaters

The idea of movie theater audio reviews is great. If one were to evaluate this objectively, how would you do so?
  16. dshreter

Are room acoustics better on smaller speakers?

As others have said, room treatment is easier if you don't have to deal with managing low bass. That said, room treatment is still completely relevant to small speakers, they don't reduce the usefulness of treatment.
  17. dshreter

Mark Levinson or Accuphase

Accuphase wins this for me easily from a pride of ownership perspective. I don't think there will be any meaningful difference in sound quality, but from a look, feel, and experience of owning it, I'm going with the Accuphase.
  18. dshreter

CANVAS TV soundbar

https://www.canvashifi.com/ This looks like an interesting product being shown off at CES, and on their tech page it looks like it's being measured on a klippel. Has anyone actually seen one in person? I remember when it was originally announced a few years ago as a kickstarter it seemed to...
  19. dshreter

Review and Measurements of SONOS Amp

Can you somehow feed a digital input instead? That’s where this unit shines.
Top Bottom