Search results

1. K

Audio Science Innovators

Few people alive today have done more to debunk audio BS than Douglas Self (mentored by none other than Baxandall). If you digest the theory in his books you can make equipment that's as good or better than 99% of what's out there.
  2. K

Marantz SR8015 Review (Home Theater AVR)

A fan that is silent today, may not be tomorrow.
  3. K

Douk VU3 Review (VU Meters)

This really is worth repeating. From wading through this thread, the only genuine VUs I've seen mentioned are the Nishizawa that Dualazmak mentions (discontinued). To my knowledge, there are a tiny handful of firms worldwide who still make genuine VUs that have an 'obligatory' 300mS integration...
  4. K

Phono Cartridge Response Measurement Script

Of all the TRs I've tried, the QR2010 gives the best W+F measurements. I think this is partly a reflection of the off-centre nature of the other TRs I have.
  5. K

Topping LA90 Review (Integrated Amplifier)

Peter Walker? Indeed. The audio world of full of questionable patents. However, we are where we are. It's been suggested that the patent takes off where Quad's [expired] one left off. I haven't studied it enough to confirm this, I'm just interested to know if Topping could release a Class A/B...
  6. K

Topping LA90 Review (Integrated Amplifier)

Indeed. Were I an IP lawyer for THX, I'd scrutinise the Topping just to be sure they aren't using the very same sauce!
  7. K

Objective Differences Between Technics G & GR Models

I'm not criticising the original arm's design. If your arm's had a cosseted existence then I'm sure it works well. My opinion is influenced by the fact that it's so rare to see an arm that isn't damaged in some way, but I am probably being harsh as we're talking about arms that are 20-30 years...
  8. K

I should correct a faulty memory in an earlier post before someone else does: The 1200/10 MK2 has the following rumble spec (from service manual): -56 dB (I EC 98A Unweighted) -78 dB (lEC 98A Weighted) It'd be highly interesting to compare actual measured figures against the newer TTs.
  9. K

That would definitely be a somewhat subjective question. I've had literally hundreds of 1200/10s pass through my hands over the years. The tube is made from a soft alloy. Repeated and heavy-handed cart changes (typical for a club, several times a night if visiting DJs bring their own carts)...
  10. K

If you look at the link in post no.10, you'll see the plot given by Technics that compares platter resonant decay characteristics of different generations of decks. A classic problem with the MK2/3/4/5 is platter ringing, particularly when DJs remove the mat that it was designed to use and fit...
  11. K

I'm not sure that the top plates are the same. The original 1200 (like the GR) has a spray finish, not anodised. You read people saying it's anodised, but it isn't. Spray is more expensive than anodising, but it means you can use cast alloys (which contain higher levels of Si and Copper, so they...
  12. K

Although the site I'm linking to here isn't known for objective appraisals, this article was written by someone who attended the GR launch at Abbey Rd Studios and got to see direct comparisons between G and GR in terms of construction...
  13. K

Nice turntables. Attached picture is an absolute requirement.

I collect test records. The variation in W+F between them is vast, as is the the difference between runs. Pressing a test record is fraught with danger, as the 1st run might have the centre punched nicely, but the second could be well off. I've seen people claim 0.025 W+F on the Tacet 2014 test...
  14. K

Best meter to level audio pre-hardware

Every item of analogue audio hardware has a different clipping threshold. On top of that, standalone meters will have input attenuators, making the markings somewhat irrelevant unless they are specifically scaled to the device that you are using. For example: I have tested many analogue mixers...
  15. K

VU Meters: Let's See 'Em!!

Thank you again! There are broadcast meters that use the Yamaki movement. I have not seen inside the Foreno, but I wonder if its driver circuit is similar? I think they are basically digital meters, but driving an analogue movement. You can see one here...
  16. K

Thank you very much! At the sort of prices Yamaki are listed at, I could buy Hoyt. I am not sure which meter is better, though. Now that Sifam no longer manufacture at the same UK factory, there are very, very few good manufacturers for audio meters. I shall try and contact Yamaki and see if...
  17. K

Fantastic work, Dualazmak! Do you know if Nishizawa are still making the meters, or have Suzudes bought a large stock of old components? Is there more than one model of VU meter? As you say, the IEC VU spec requires a special ballistic that 99/100 meters on the market do not meet. In the...
  18. K

Objectivist Youtube Channels?

I agree that about 99% of it is boring (mainly because it's personal opinion, posted by the same type of people). However, there is the occasional gem - John Atkinson's recent articulation of why measurements matter being one of them. While I am in complete agreement about the whole Youtube...
  19. K

Objectivist Youtube Channels?

Hi, We all know there are about a thousand YT channels where subjectivist opinion is propagated, but is there anyone out there who's strictly covering audio from a scientific perspective? And if so, do they have more than 9 people and a dog following them? TIA.
  20. K

Has an OEM Ever Threatened / Taken Legal Action Over Measurements?

Oh yeah - BOSE is notoriously litigious. Interesting, when you consider the rumoured origins of the 901 / 802 concept...
Top Bottom