Search results

1. B

How can bogus claims and inferior audio thrive in a competitive market?

Wow! That is some awesome pseudo-science Bafflegab :D This kind of creative writing always reminds me of the Turbo Encabulator .
  2. B

Yes it definitely seems that way. I hadn't given much thought to what the manufacturers of either inferior or just outright woo products thought themselves. The idea that they themselves are delusional rather than just dishonest is intriguing to me. Could woo peddlers also be believing their...
  3. B

Just saw this on Vox about the weird science of Placebo effect. I did a thought experiment on replacing the words drug/pain/medicine with "audio" in the article. Makes for entertaining reading. The really interesting weirdness of the Placebo effect was near the end of the article. When BOTH...
  4. B

MQA Sounds Really Good!

I don't disagree with your definition since we are using the word "tax" in two different contexts. My context of the word "tax" here is "a strain or heavy demand" like lifting a piano not the political usage of the term tax which is considered "a compulsory contribution to state revenue". A tax...
  5. B

MQA Sounds Really Good!

Thanks for the link. I'm giving it a read.
  6. B

Not testing your patience ;) Modern tunes and bad sounds.

Lol! Ariana Grande is way way out of my demographic but since she's on heavy rotation on terrestrial radio I don't mind her. I just played "No Tears Left To Cry" on Spotify Premium to take a listen on my system. Got to say it was a pretty good beat. My subs were working the low notes on that...
  7. B

MQA Sounds Really Good!

Thanks. I Googled a bit on deblurring and debate over whether MQA can actually repair timing faults. Regardless of the claims, a question that came to mind was many if not most of the non-junk DAC's that Amir has tested are low or low enough jitter to be sub-audible, has this problem not been...
  8. B

MQA Sounds Really Good!

Thanks for the explanation. I struggle with understanding how something can be added below a noise floor since as a lay person my mind thinks of a noise floor as solid barrier which of course it isn't ;) I read that the purpose of MQA was really to make "hi-res" file sizes smaller for streaming...
  9. B

MQA Sounds Really Good!

I'm not sure what you mean exactly Amir. The way I read your response is a conflation of "popular" with "beneficial". I'm not sure that's what you meant though. A license fee is a tax. In economic terms that's a increase to cost base and by definition reduces output. Similarly a license is also...
  10. B

MQA Sounds Really Good!

I have no dog in this fight since I can't discern anything above Redbook anyway. In general non-open proprietary formats only profit the copyright holder. There are no benefits to society or consumers individually. If the MQA people weren't seeking monopoly rent for their proprietary format they...
  11. B

Should we (I) get into speaker testing & measurement

FWIW I've donated to the jar. Thanks to all who participate here, Bill.
  12. B

I appreciate your thoughts on this. I agree completely that speakers are the largest influence on system performance. I disagree however with your premise about not being able to change people's minds with evidence. The entire advertising industry is built on exactly that. Right now there is an...
  13. B

Since testing speakers would require enormous resources in money, time and physical space and on-going costs of shipping etc, I'm wondering what is the use case here for ASR? and for what audience? If the goal for ASR is to satisfy a technical curiosity (or perhaps even further the science)...
  14. B

MQA Sounds Really Good!

Lol! the lights on the DAC! I too get some kind of chemical response when I see 48Khz on my recently purchased D10 vs 44.1. It's like Warp Drive :p Woot!
  15. B

MQA Sounds Really Good!

Do you have a preference for enjoyment? Hi-res (24/96 on up) vs MQA vs CD? And conversely for an expert listener such as yourself what would be the minimum file quality where you stop enjoying the music due to its technical deficiencies? I've read some experts really find CD quality offensive...
  16. B

Review and Measurements of the PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC

Audio is my third hobby (not in order just amongst 2 others) so I'm limited in what I will spend on equipment. Time is another factor as well. I tend to prefer new equipment vs vintage. I was recently thinking about updating my Plebian turntable to Peasant-class but after giving it some serious...
  17. B

Speakers cable help

Yesterday I spent the afternoon rewiring my Plebian Speakers with the CL2 12ga Monoprice wire. I instantly heard a wider soundstage, more lushish bass and sharper highs with more air, became better looking and taller, all before even turning on my system! Fantastic cables! Seriously though I...
  18. B

Thank-you for your insights. I'm of similar mindset when it comes to transparent equipment and using DSP or EQ to color as needed. This seems intuitive to me and proper use of the right tool for the job. The sheer amount of the websites, blogs, videos etc on DAC's that produce "Big Sound Stage"...
  19. B

I appreciate the idea. My smartphone hooked to a large Bluetooth speaker I have in my garage sounds decently fine to enjoy music while working on my car. If I understand correctly then the modern audio market is really just choosing decoration since the function regardless of price is already...
Top Bottom