Search results for query: mqa

1. amirm

SMSL D-6s Balanced DAC Review

It is in the specs I looked at last night.
  2. amirm

Still "MQA"

It might be that the DAC ICs they are buying comes with an MQA license so why not state it as a marketing feature.
  3. amirm

GoldenSounds passes apparently ABX test for DACs

...here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/high-resolution-audio-does-it-matter.11/ Yes, that Bob Stuart, the creator of MQA! :) In his larger scale testing, they did find statistically significant difference between two DAC filters: “The audibility of typical...
  4. amirm

Lenbrooke acquires MQA

I suspect they added up the royalties they were paying for MQA and decided that it didn't cost a lot more to get the company and collect royalties from others. Speaking of that, such royalty reports will give them stats on how many units their competitors are selling! They will need to build a...
  5. amirm

This is a review and detailed measurements of the SMSL D-6s balanced stereo DAC with Bluetooth support. It was sent to me by the company and costs US $199. I was pleasantly surprised with the new industrial design which while minimalistic, manages to impress with its modern style. Love the matt...
  6. amirm

Lenbrooke acquires MQA

Companies hate to license technology from their competitors. So this acquisition will make things harder for MQA, not easier. They could compensate by marketing it better at audio shows and such but it will be nah uphill battle (which was already so).
  7. amirm

MQA entering into administration - comparable to Chapter 11 in the US

On Roon, they used to be part of Meridian where MQA came from. It was an acquisition that was then spun off. So it was natural that they would support MQA. But I have seen no reason to think they were in bed with MQA or have any motivation to push for it. Roon is a superbly engineered audio...
  8. amirm

A point I had made before he even knew what MQA was. Here is a post from 2016 when I was co-founder of another forum and we were discussing MQA:
  9. amirm

Audio Science Review is not listed @ Wikipedia.

...another shot at creating a Wiki page? I am thinking of a short, matter of fact page about what we do. There are now Wiki pages that link to us (MQA, Tidal, Schiit). I have my AES paper. Sean Olive's headphone paper refers to ASR. As does the AES paper on 5128 headphone fixture...
  10. amirm

Your device keeps working. Services may continue to offer the content they have. But to the extent MQA was doing the encoding, there will not be any new content.
  11. amirm

He was not as I am not a supporter of MQA. He was banned for improper and unethical behavior including but not limited to not only going after my company but also its employees. He also violated our policy on posting copyrighted material. He also post a bunch of nonsense subjectivist things...
  12. amirm

Roon forum mods have incredibly low appetite for debate and forum wars. MQA is no exception. It is a wise policy to keep their forum temperatures low. So I am not surprised of their actions in regards to this topic. Along those lines, I am going to ask the membership to refrain from...
  13. amirm

You didn't notice because you had too much blood in your eyes trying to fight MQA. My position was simple and stated many times: Pay particular attention to #4. While some of you were predicting that MQA would wipe out in the clear PCM, and labels were out to convert your music to DRM, I...
  14. amirm

Neil Young PONO player Review

No need to apologize to me about Zune. My role in that product development was to tell the company in no uncertain terms to NOT develop Zune. I warned them of the competitive power of Apple and that they had no chance. Management above me (i.e. Microsoft CEO) didn't listen and gave the green...
  15. amirm

Dynamic Range and Noise Floor

...that represents infinite dynamic range! (divide by zero). True dynamic range requires statistical analysis of quiet parts of music to separate noise from music -- which is hard. From research MQA has done in encoding millions of tracks, they found best case dynamic range to be about 18 bits.
  16. amirm

SMSL DO200 MKII DAC Review

This is a review and detailed measurements of the SMSL DO200 MKII stereo USB DAC. It was sent to me by aoshida-audio who is a distributor for SMSL and costs US $469. Not much to complain about here as it fits the latest design of SMSL line. I like the clarity of the LCD and large volume...
  17. amirm

MQA Update

...was offset by lower spend for our BNPL platform and TIDAL. Other sales and marketing expenses primarily include expenses related to Square, our BNPL platform, and TIDAL." Good on Lenbrook picking up MQA for a song. Was worried that they had lost their mind and spent a ton of money on it! :)
  18. amirm

I suspect they are doing all the MQA encodings. This takes staff to ingest, encode and QA. Probably 2 to 3 people for that plus equipment, rent, etc. Then you need business development people to convince chip/device makers to implement MQA. And yes, you do need lawyers (inside or outside the...
  19. amirm

Nope. Had paid up for Roon and Tidal added them without cost to me.
  20. amirm

It wasn't clearly bested. Maybe equaled. And if you don't know, you don't know. In proper AB test using my measurements, the SMSL easily beats the Chord Dave: SMSL D-6s has distortion that is 15 dB lower.
Top Bottom