Recent content by wwenze

1. W

RME DPS-2 Linear Power Supply

Yes and no depending on situation and in majority of situations it's probably no Yea HP amps are particularly sensitive since unlike speakers with a sensitivity of 86dB @ 2.83V, headphones... I just randomly picked Grado SR 325i , is 117.90 dB/V Shielding makes sense when you have a very solid...
  2. W

It gets more complicated than that. Portable amp headphone setups can hear the GSM signal coming... despite the whole thing floating Galvanic isolation from mains doesn't solve it either, since the transformer secondary is already isolated from mains. The low voltage side is always floating...
  3. W

Reliability and build quality of Chinese Vs. Western Amps and DACs? Can you reliably get 15+ years out of a Topping Stack? Or SMSL? Singxer?

I dunno about the specific models you're mentioning, but my Yulong T-Amp is over 15 years old and is pretty much 24/7
  4. W

There is no successful attempt at creating a measuring standard for measuring common-mode noise performance. What should they show, show something that says their product is flawed while the others don't show that?
  5. W

Where does quantization noise come from.

Hearing people talk about lossy compression reminded me that video encode quality is often measured in PSNR (Peak Signal to Noise Ratio) Since the lower the bitrate the bigger the blocks. At this point the result is clearly based on mathematical functions and highly reproducible (no ADC or time...
  6. W

Can you hear any audible difference if they are measured as audibly transparent?

External factors influenced your hearing of the middle blocks.
  7. W

It's part of the oversampling DAC's feature already. ES9038 has 7 presets to choose from. Taking the 10kHz square wave for example, instead of taking just an analogue filter with low LPF frequency to smooth it into some arbitrarily sine-ish wave, an oversampling DAC with digital filter keeps...
  8. W

Speaker "Speed"

Speed is speed. Fast movements have larger amounts of high frequency components when you break down that movement using math.
  9. W

The LPF of these DACs just happen to be at a way higher frequency, while the interpolation magic in between is supposed to be done by the oversampling (or digital filter) and then the resulting smaller steps would be eaten up by the LPF. Doing this gives us the option of more complex digital...
  10. W

Dayton Audio OPAL1 speaker launches

Or think about it the other way... How much optimizing / EQ went in in order to result in that sensitivity. So it might be a good thing instead.
  11. W

Wiring Speakon and Banana plugs

"So I lost some strands" - That's exactly how to fit an oversized cable into an undersized connector :) Untwist the wires, cut around 33% of it, twist it back and viola, a 12AWG cable end.
  12. W

Analyze audio signal from USB input

Sometimes people use standard connectors like USB and HDMI for different purposes. I have a USB cable that is used to carry PCI-E signal.
  13. W

Wrong power supply fried the amp?

15VAC supply going into a 12VDC equipment, 1) The reverse-polarity-protection diode will short the negative voltages straight to ground 2) Even in the absence of (1), feeding AC straight into a power supply capacitor is like feeding straight into a short Grab a multimeter and see if the 15VAC...
  14. W

Not entirely wrong since the stair steps are the cause of the noise, and if you save and reproduce a 24-bit instead of 16-bit wave the steps are smaller and the noise lower. We just don't call it distortion despite knowing the contributing factors, because the contributing factors themselves...
Top Bottom