Recent content by Watsonian

1. W

Neumann MT 48

Unless you have to have a specific feature that the Anubis has, the MT48 looks to be more stable. Note: I own an Anubis but have not used an MT48.
  2. W

Neumann MT 48

Own an Anubis. MT48 looks like Music Mission with some additions/tweaks. Neumann's user manual states that it can be used driverless on the Mac, although you may not have access to all features. That's an interesting statement! Otherwise, the Anubis is a very flexible unit. Looks like Neumann...
  3. W

Do the Genelec 8030c hiss?

not 17 so my hearing cannot be perfect but it's pretty good.
  4. W

Do the Genelec 8030c hiss?

I've got a pair of 8030Cs and 8010s. I can hear the 8030s hiss if I put my ear within 5cm of the tweeter, then I notice it. Outside of that range? Never noticed it. My hearing was tested a month ago - fine for my age (in fact, somewhat better than my age which was nice).
  5. W

Connect 1 Mic / Audio Interface with 2 Computers

Ah yes, the Merging Anubis, it's one heck of an audio tool, I wouldn't part with it, it's just so insanely useful and small. Right now it's sat next to me on a mic stand. Enough said. Use it for everything. It was a zero regrets purchase. Having said that, all that flexibility comes at quite an...
  6. W

Sadly AoIP interfaces appear to cost a lot but there's quite a lot of flexibility, if you're prepared to go down that route. Another idea that springs to mind is the Sound Devices MixPre series - read the manual and see what you make of it...
  7. W

You may wish to consider some form of Audio over IP (AoIP) interface but they don't come cheap. AoIP allows for multicasting traffic to multiple targets simultaneously. The challenge would be one of budget, as I'm not sure how many (if any) AoIP interfaces cost in under 1,000 Euros. I use a...
  8. W

Why is not all audio equipment using "balanced"?

Balanced versus unbalanced cables...hmmm...is there a difference. Yes, there is but for me the differences are always biggest for the following reasons: Noise because a power cable ran parallel to an audio cable and I hadn't clocked the parallel run. Mobile phones cause chaos when put in the...
  9. W

What's the deal with microphones?

Doesn't EQ account for 90% of a microphone's sound? When it comes to buying most microphones, you're essentially buying a baked in EQ sound. EQ for microphones is generally used to tame any defects of the room, instrument or voice and to make things work in a music mix not to make one...
  10. W

Capacitor upgrade in crossover - Is it audible?

A lot of Neve style microphone preamps are marketed because they feature "original" capacitors specified in the original Neve designs. Weirdly the argument for using capacitors (of a specific type) in Neve style preamps is that they provide harmonic distortion in the low end. A couple of times...
  11. W

Small room with bass issues

The 8030 should have a bunch of dip switches round the back of the monitor, it's worth playing with them (refer to the manual). See how you fare with changing the settings - it'll cost you nothing.
  12. W

Listen Up.

Possibly! Weirdly I can *hear* stereo on speakers - compared to headphones - simply because i get left and right channels "summed" together by virtue of the space I'm sitting in. In headphones, I can sum to mono but - yuck - it's a wall o'mud with some mixes. It's one of the reasons I'll...
  13. W

Listen Up.

Ergonomic design is a real art. Some manufacturers have a grasp of it, some just don’t. The Merging unit’s pretty good in that everything can be run via the touch screen. On the other hand, for Hi-Fi? Bus compression and EQ? 6 sends? On the plus side this unit can control something like 30.2...
  14. W

Listen Up.

Do you know what, I think that the rug cost more than the speakers did. Okay…uh…I checked and that’s true. Uh. Maybe should join a rug science forum instead? The speakers do look a little…lost…on those stands!
  15. W

Listen Up.

In this case function and form work quite well. I’m sure that it could be put to pure Hi-Fi use but I think it’d be overpaying for a lot of functions that probably wouldn’t get used. Used to have an old Quad. Always liked that unit, not sure what the model was…
Top Bottom