• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Listen Up.

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
https://images.app.goo.gl/8QwSGGnt1qEG1t2J7
Funny, the first time I ever saw the word paroxysm was in reference to an actual (and by that I mean fictional) troll in Zork I. And now people are talking about things of value under the rug...

I see what is happening here.:cool:

troll_bath_mat-r6a48612938334fe89e8800e61db5fc15_zdpjk_540.jpg

Reactions: GDK

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
stands? pffft...i even placed floorstanders up on the tv bench

and as someone already mentioned, the obligatory rug was downgraded to a cats scratchmat long ago

Fahzz

Forum Donor
I started exploring audio forums a few years ago when I was looking for speaker stands. I found myself joining another well known forum and I learned two things very quickly:
1. You can spend a ton of money on speaker stands.
2. Avoid any thread that has the word "cable" in its title.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've got those same stands, and maybe headphones. I think we need to hear more about the rug.

Oh, btw, you need some of those ratchet straps to put around and strap the Genelecs firmly to the stand so they don't get knocked off. Maybe something in a nice camo pattern so they aren't noticed. ;)

1626812359855.png

OP
W

Watsonian

I've got those same stands, and maybe headphones. I think we need to hear more about the rug.

Oh, btw, you need some of those ratchet straps to put around and strap the Genelecs firmly to the stand so they don't get knocked off. Maybe something in a nice camo pattern so they aren't noticed. ;)

View attachment 142491
Do you know what, I think that the rug cost more than the speakers did.

Okay…uh…I checked and that’s true. Uh. Maybe should join a rug science forum instead?

The speakers do look a little…lost…on those stands!

Katji

Major Contributor
In this case function and form work quite well. I’m sure that it could be put to pure Hi-Fi use but I think it’d be overpaying for a lot of functions that probably wouldn’t get used.
Yes, sure, but I mean aesthetically, or even ergonomically :) - the buttons, the volume control. Hi-fi DACs tend to have all sorts of nonsense going on, from the styling to those damn hold-to-change-mode buttons.

Katji

Major Contributor
Obligatory post about the rug really tying the room together... or something. El Duderino says so.
Ah, now we're on track. Persian rugs. I already decided I want Persian gabbeh rugs, since I saw some, going from some pictures from a film. ...Maybe involved with acoustic panels...

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Obligatory post about the rug really tying the room together... or something. El Duderino says so.View attachment 142468

The rug isn’t it. It’s the laying on the rug. And the way you lay on it. And the way you photograph how you lay on it. And what you look like laying on it.

moma1.jpg

(Untitled #96, from the MoMA collection, by Cindy Sherman. The last one of these that sold fetched about 3.4 million bucks (not kidding).

No speaker stands, though. Or rug.

Rick “shudders to think what it would cost with speaker stands in it” Denney

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My cat Elwood says the rugs are more significant than the stands, but his brother Jake disagrees. They chase each other on the rug around the stands, which is better than if there were no rug, because on hardwood they spin out.

Button The Destroyer laughs at rugs.

See the Advent on top somewhat displaced and causing mild panic on my part?

image.jpg

Yup. Button The Destroyer. She does not need a traction device on hardwood. She has five perfectly good claws on each paw.

But the real purpose of the rug is to absorb oils, solder blobs, rosin flux, important small screws, and capacitor guts.

Living-room-lab.JPEG

I’d show a picture of Button, but this is Forbidden.

Edit: I grabbed a dangerous spy photo of Button The Destroyer, and am posting it while my wife drives me to the hospital. “I told you, human, that it is Forbidden.” Note the rug.

DC39C50A-FDA4-4468-AE08-3FDA381A7214.jpeg

Rick “not fooled by Button’s small size” Denney

Last edited:
OP
W

Watsonian

Yes, sure, but I mean aesthetically, or even ergonomically :) - the buttons, the volume control. Hi-fi DACs tend to have all sorts of nonsense going on, from the styling to those damn hold-to-change-mode buttons.

Ergonomic design is a real art. Some manufacturers have a grasp of it, some just don’t.

The Merging unit’s pretty good in that everything can be run via the touch screen. On the other hand, for Hi-Fi? Bus compression and EQ? 6 sends? On the plus side this unit can control something like 30.2 (with additional Ravenna audio over IP boxes).

Has anyone seen 30.2? Someone on this forum has had to!

But to get back on track - you can’t go wrong with a good rug. Ergonomic design is sorted, no buttons to push, no upgrades to worry about and everyone knows what they’re getting.

Oh and there’s a huge irony in me posting on a Hi-Fi related forum. I’m profoundly deaf in one ear and have mild tinnitus in my good ear. Hi-Fi? Ah, I’ll tell you in another life.

Maybe that’s why I like rugs so much?

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
My cat Elwood says the rugs are more significant than the stands, but his brother Jake disagrees. They chase each other on the rug around the stands, which is better than if there were no rug, because on hardwood they spin out.

they're on a mission from god, how dare you....

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Katji

Major Contributor
Oh and there’s a huge irony in me posting on a Hi-Fi related forum. I’m profoundly deaf in one ear and have mild tinnitus in my good ear. Hi-Fi? Ah, I’ll tell you in another life.

Maybe that’s why I like rugs so much?
"I can relate." The mental DSP seems ok though. ...Just not headphones.

Top Bottom