Recent content by warthor

1. W

Passive Speaker Recommendations for USA (by @sweetchaos)

Hi @sweetchaos, I have been looking for some additional speakers to make my system 7.1 (from 5.1). I noticed that the JBL Studio 530 is only represented in the top few charts in passive bookshelves (but is not carried down through the rest of the tables). Is there a reason for that (e.g...
  2. W

Subwoofer Comparison

Thank you both for the input. I can see now the 13" inch is superior to both 15" V1 and V2. The upgrade model would be the 16" as indicated by audioholics, though I still don't fully understand how a few db is 50% more output.
  3. W

Subwoofer Comparison

I am trying to make sense of a few reviewer comments on Audioholics regarding Monolith Subwoofers. Maybe someone could help me interpret these comments? Audioholics says "I can't help but evaluate the Monolith 13" in light of the Monolith 15". They do have a lot in common. Similar build...
  4. W

Subwoofer Comparison

Monolith is having a sale this weekend, and the sale includes items that are already marked down. If I had to choose between 1x 16" Subwoofer or 2 x dual 10" inch subwoofers which would you select? My home theater is in an a normal living room, which is open concept. The reason I mention both of...
  5. W

The highest preference score- for sale!

It looks like pickup is required.
  6. W

Published Research on Bi-Wiring Speakers

I do bi wire my speakers, but not for a benefit in audio quality. (To whom should I confess my audio sins?) I was under the impression that doing so reduced the load on the amp. If that is true then less heat is generated etc. If that is incorrect I will undo this arrangement promptly.
  7. W

That would be cool if the Revel M16 could be used as a center speaker, but I think it has issues as a two way design with vertical directivity (as sweetchaos mentioned). It would be nice because you can buy them as single speakers from crutchfield. And they have been on sale for a while, making...
  8. W

The main advantage is simply in regard to space and design. If you use a media console you are limited in terms of space, especially if you are placing your TV at recommended height. In other words, it is difficult to place an upright bookshelf speaker upright under the TV. Edit: I am not sure...
  9. W

10-year-old Revel Salon2 ?

I am not sure it is out of the question, check out KEF Blade on US audio mart. A pair is listed for $11,500 now. https://www.usaudiomart.com/search.php?keywords=kef+blade
  10. W

Thanks for doing this @sweetchaos I have been thinking about this option quite a bit because these options are cheaper than similarly-scoring center speakers (even when you consider having to buy two speakers), therefore this seems to represent the best value option for people on a budget. It...
  11. W

10-year-old Revel Salon2 ?

Since you are in the EU it seems you might be able to get a good deal on the KEF Blade 1 or 2 (non meta). A number of these have come up half off in the US because people are chasing that 1-2% upgrade on the new Meta models. Those models still measure very well.
  12. W

Erin's Review of KEF Q250c Center Discussion

What was the preference score of this speaker? I am quite interested to see. It might be one of the best value center channels.
  13. W

Subwoofer Comparison

Thanks a lot! That is very helpful. It seems like databass has reviewed a fair number of DIY drivers. One such subwoofer is also listed here in the comparison chart (https://data-bass.com/#/systems/5afdc4a68a2a8000041c7999?_k=ysi09e). It performed quite well, and received the extreme room...
  14. W

Subwoofer Comparison

How do the build-your-own subwoofers perform? For example, the Marty subwoofers from gsg. https://shop.gsgad.com/collections/martysub-roundover-series Do we have any data on these? The reason I ask is if the performance is similar to subwoofers with the same size woofers than the value is...
  15. W

KEF Reference and Blade Meta announced, but where is the R Meta?????

This will be very helpful because the current scores are based on KEF data. We can see how closely the scores align. Thanks!
Top Bottom